Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I go to Berklee

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by quatre03, Oct 15, 2004.

1. yes go

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No dont go

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm tired of dealing with dumb**** musicians i deal with everyday, I'm really sick of it:crying: . I fell like the only way i could really get a great group of ppl who are like minded about music, and getting a good musical education is by going there. I know it's going to be difficult, but i do know a pair burklee graduates a bassist(perfomance major), and a guitarist(composition major) which is great cause id like to major in some sort of composition probably jazz composing, and a double major in electric bass. If i do it wouldnt be for 2 years, if I decie to go, im going to start taking lessons from the bassist/performance major again, he can put me through the exams he had to take, and i can jam with the guitarist. My parents have already said that they would help me go if thats something i wanted to do. If i went id like to go for all 4 years. I know i have a lot of advantages over some ppl who might go, but i've only been playing for 2 years. Id just hate to leave all my friends and family to move to a place where i know no one, finding a job, and a place to live. Id really like to go, i just i dont know i dont see the $$ in music, and if there is money in it then you have to sell your soul out to a record company.

you decide, im really leaning tward going, but its like a 45/55. :bassist:

2. it would undoubtedly be a great experience, and you just might hook up with cats and start gigging. I think a lot of people who go there dont even end up graduating, they leave for a road gig or something.

You *can* make money in music, I know people who are doing it, and some of them very well. I think a lot of it is luck and who you meet.

3. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    the point of going, is more like if im going to do it do it right, i know there is money to be made im music, i just see a lot of great musicians struggeling to make it, while other (blink-182) suck and are set for life. Id really like to find a Progressive/Fusion/Rock band, but i hate how the musicians arround me, and in my age group mostly suck.

4. From what I understand, music school isn't a magic wand that gives you gigs and makes you a "real" musician. If you've got the funds and the motivation, it might be a good opportunity, but I'm sure you'll still meet your share of dumb****s there, and you'll still have to figure out how to make it happen for yourself.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Jazz Composition is really hard, But soooo much fun!

If you could get in... Go! What the hell kinda Question is that? GO!

If I Didnt give up soo much I'd Still be in college :meh: If I Cared enough to get the Grades to go I would in a Heartbeat... Then I would Drop out and form a Prog Band :smug:

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Another option is Riverside Comunity College... I dont know about you but I FREAKING LOVE marching band. DCI is soo FREAKING awesome. I dont give a crap if its nerdy or whatever... Its so much fun.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Why not CSU Fullerton? They have an amazing music program.

8. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Dont limit yourself by such thoughts....

Whats the worst that can happen? .....you come out of school a better musician. Doesnt sound like much of a disadvantage to me.... Esp. if you are "serious" ( not to imply that anyone who doesnt is any less qualified ;) ) about persuing a career in the music industry.

Also, what you learn in school will also translate into anything you decide to do in life. Many valuable lessons can be learned that will apply to all areas of life...

Only one way to tell; go for it! I would! :cool:

9. I agree here if you've got the motivation to study then by all means take the chance because the worst thing that could happen is if you did'nt go and 10 years from now you'd be thinking if only
    But Luckily you can study music when youré an old timer whereas in sport its a different story
    As to your other question I make enough money thru music to get me by but for me studying and playing music is enough to make me happy in life
    Its really up to you if you want it you're motivation will speak for it'self
    SO I say TAKE THE PLUNGE give it a try if it's not your thing then thats cool you can go back to what you were doing.
    So Good Luck in whatever you decide to choose
    and may the force be with you