1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I go tweeterLESS???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I tested the tweeter of my schro 1210 and for the tone I like it didnt seem to make much of a difference. I play classic rock and like the vintage type tone. Are tweeters for people who slap and like a lot of highs?

I checked out a few of the cabs at our rehearsal studio including an Ampeg 2x15, peavey 4x12 and gk 4x10. None had tweeters and they all sound fine to me.

I am going to buy a neo 1210 from Jorg and I need to decide if I should spend the extra $120US on the tweeter or not.

Am I missing something?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have an ampeg 4x8, and I only use the tweeter at home. And that's just for fiddling around with diferent sounds. But Most times, I don't use it. My hartke doesn't have one at all. And it sounds great.

3. Vintage tone and classic rock.... no need for a tweeter.

Modern, roundwound sound, funk, slap, fusion..... tweeter is a must!

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You probably don't need it, but you'll never know for sure until you're actually gigging the cab. I'd expect that your resale value down the road would justify spending the extra dough though, maybe? My 1210 came in with the tweeter inoperative, thanks to yet another shipping misadventure. Thankfully it was a fairly easy fix, and I was able to take care of it myself. I really didn't dig the sound of that cab without the tweet, FWIW. Hard to say if the neo version would be different that way though.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think i will try testing it again. This time with earplugs in and out. the first time i really tested it i was just playing solo so i didnt need the ear plugs. with the band going and earplugs i dont know how much of a difference the tweeter will make in classic rock.

what about just ordering it without one for now and getting one from Jorg later and putting it in?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You play the same stuff I do. A tweeter is not necessary, and when I do have a cab with one, it is usually turned all the way, or mostly, off.

7. While you probably don't need it, per the post above, there are a couple of reasons to order the cab with the tweeter installed:

- Resale
    - The cab was designed for use with a tweeter
    - You can turn the tweeter off if you don't like it.
    - Your playing might eventually evolve so that you might be interested in playing music that is 'tweeter appropriate'.

Jorg's standard tweeter is supposed to be very natural sounding... you might like it in the mix just a little bit. I'd spend the additional money if you can... there's no downsidee downside to having it and turning it down.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    If you're gonna do that, you may still want him to cut the hole for it and put in a blank plate. It looks to me like you'd want to do the cutting before the carpeting goes on, but you ought to ask Jorg about that. Dunno if that would cost a bit extra, seems like it should, maybe. Installing the crossover is pretty simple though.

For what you're playing right now, and judging from what you've told us, on the face of it I think I'd save the money, but you've also changed gear enough times that considering resale might be wise? I certainly never missed tweeters until I got a cab with a good one, in any case. I think Ken's right-on too though, messing with the designer's intent might backfire.

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I've been thinking of getting one of the new lighter cabs and saving a little by not getting the horn, but now Ken's advice is making it a harder decision! :crying:

Even though I've heard lots of cabs without tweets that I thought did great even for slapping, you still think I'd be better off getting the tweeter?

As far as Jorg's design, don't you think he took his own design into the equation when he decided to offer them with no horn? :confused:

10. I'm also loving older tones, but because there wasn't a tweeter back then, that shouldn't mean you can't use one to create such a tone. You can always turn them off and they don't cost that much. ;)