1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I go wireless?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MusicManLN3, Mar 21, 2010.

1. MusicManLN3

MusicManLN3

Feb 21, 2010
    I like to really get "into it" when my band plays, but I'm always worried that if I move too much, I'll be restricted by my instrument cable. I have a Monster cable that's a real decent length, but at one end it's messed up and starts to buzz out if I move it a certain way. Now I was thinking of:
    a)Getting a better and even longer cable
    b)going wireless
    If I were to go with choice b, I use a Zoom b2.1u for different effects and patches. I use it ALOT, and I change the patches for every song.:smug: What I want to know is if I should go A or B, if I went wireless how could I use it with the pedal, and what are some good wireless brands?

2. Firstly you could fix the cable you've got - unsolder the plug, cut two inches off the cable then resolder the plug on. 30 feet is about as long as you want to go.

3. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Do what PJ said first or have a buddy who has a soldering iron do it for you. Yes, 30' is about max you want to go with a cable. If you decide to go wireless, you'll have to get a couple cables the same length so you can run the signal from the reciever to the floor unit and back. I use wireless all the time simply because I hate cables. All the brands are decent so, just figure out what you need and go for it.

4. Richard G

Richard G Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    i recently purchased a shure wireless and havent regretted it one moment, i feel free now, no chord wrapping around my leg or getting in the way...i really can't tell the difference between the chord and my wireless and i have a monster cable bass chord that seems to bust every once in a while, but with their policy im able to take it back and get a new one! You can always buy a wireless from the store and if you dont like it just simply take it back! Ive done the long chord thing and its good to always have extra cables and especially longer ones.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Go wireless.

http://braceaudio.com/

They go for about $150 on Sweetwater, they're simple, they're digital, they have plenty of headroom, and they're cheaper than used old Shure setup.

I would put whatever wireless system you go with on your pedalboard to cut down on stage clutter.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Line6 X2 or the new Line6 G30 or G50 in my opinion. I'm a wanderer on stage and have a tendency to circle clockwise while playing. That makes for very twisted cables if I use a cable. Wireless solves many problems for me... just have to plan on buying batteries for the body pack.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    well, if it's a Monster cable all you have to do is bring it to a store that sells Monster and trade it in for a new one. Problem solved. No cost to you.

As far as wireless, try it. If you like keep it. If it's a hassle, return it. The thing with wireless is that you still need some wires - especially if you use effects.

I would use a pedal system like the Line 6 X2. Set the receiver by your Zoom and run two cables to that spot.

I have debated wireless and I don't even run around. It's nice to not have the cable, but you still do. Then there's batteries to buy - you'll probably want a new set every gig. To me it isn't worth it. TO many others it is.

8. While you're there - buy a spare... :hyper:

9. DoubleGStrap

DoubleGStrap

Nov 24, 2009
    Quincy, MA
    I got a Shure PGX14 a couple of years ago and now can't imagine what I'd do without it. I was a little skeptical at first because it wasn't something that I really needed but once I started using it there was no going back. No cable to trip over makes a huge difference for me. I don't even really move around that much but it's one less thing to think/worry about. I have a set of rechargeable batteries that I keep in my gig bag, and also have my Monster Cable ready to go right next to the wireless system in case I need to switch over real quick, but haven't had to do that yet. That being said, I'd say definitely go for wireless, but get a Monster Cable replacement as well.

10. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    Yeah get a spare cable for sure. I have bad luck personally with Monster Cable. Dont get me wrong they always exchange them for a new one but it is the only brand cord I have ever owned that always has issues. I have owned Fender and Lifeline cords for years and years without a problem. I bought a Senheiser EW 172G3 for $399 on sale. Works perfect every time, I cant tell the difference between it and a cord and it goes down to 40HZ.

11. YES!!!! I circle clockwise too....... sure does shorten your cable after a few songs.

Id like to see two guitarists and a bass player move about any stage freely all while using 30' cords

:eek::eek:

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I own a few wireless..

It's just another weak link in the chain..

With some simple band planning I've played in bands were we had 4 moving guys all on 50 foot cords.. never a tangle.

Tim

13. Staus Quo always seemed to manage it!!

14. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Iron Station NC
    Do It, Luv It, Wont leave home without it

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

They are good for sound check from mid house.. you can find stuff in this value range that is like $20 at a pawn shop

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Been using an XDR-95 for a couple of years, and love it...

- georgestrings

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yup XDR is prett much ftw there.

If I was running an FX setup though I'd have the XDS or XDS-Plus.

Monster Cables are free replacements so just go get one.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020