1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I go with the Fender American Standard Jazz, or the cheaper Fender Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JUSTINKP, Jan 14, 2012.

1. JUSTINKP

JUSTINKP

Mar 15, 2011
    I see two different kind of Fender Standard Jazz Bass's which strike my liking... The cheaper, which looks the same, but I believe is made overseas, is around $600? while the American Standard Jazz is about $1000. Can anyone tell me the differences and if it's worth the extra $400 for the American one?

I've always been a Musicman guy, and have a Ray34 but it's time to go Fender, as I play a lot of Classic and Alternative Rock now, and I love the Fender tone.

Thanks so much.

2. IMO, the american Fender is worth it. Not for the name on it, but because it feels and sounds much better. I have played several Mexi and American Fenders, and I prefer the Americans.

If you can, shop used. My favorite years for American Jazz basses were in the late 90's and early 2000's.

3. fep

fep

Oct 5, 2011
    San Diego
    I just bought this lightly used 2004 Fender American Standard Jazz bass for $670 off of CraigsList. I think that's a much better purchase than buying a new MIM Jazz Bass fir $600. And if you have to pay tax on the MIM, you're getting awfully close in price.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. JUSTINKP

JUSTINKP

Mar 15, 2011
    Ok, then second question is where would be a good place to search for used gear? I'm a little skeptical about buying from ebay or craigslist as I have no idea what those people did with that bass before they put it up for sale., (changed pickups, etc.) Any way to tell if it has all the "genuine parts", etc and isn't a knock off? If you know what I mean?

5. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    Right here on TB.:D

6. I got a nearly new MIM Jazz with SKB hardshell case on craigslist for $350.
    Put a Graphtech nut, Seymour Quarter Pounders and Chromes on it, and I am very happy.
    Recently switched to Slinkys, but you get my point.
    I have no issues with quality or playability.
    Depends on where you're thinking is, but going with MIM used leaves you some serious $ for a cabinet, or even gas, utilities or other boring stuff.

s

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yup go for a used American. American guitars have a much higher finish quality, especially in the neck department. Don't get me wrong I love my MIM, but Americans are better 10 times out of 10

8. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I think the current run of American standards are better (late 07-present). Perhaps I'm biased because I own one but I really do feel that way. At the very least they seem more consistent bass to bass. I did the ebay thing once and so has my brother and that all worked out fine. There are usually a few american fenders in the classifieds here and people seem to have great experiences there. If you think a bass looks questionable just start a thread here and your fellow TB'ers will help you out.

9. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    I've never found an American Standard that feels as good as my Mex, but I think I struck lucky. Am Standards are generally better quality but, as with all fenders, try before you buy!

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's the first model "American" and is the one I personally think is better than and preferable to the current "American Standard" for a bunch of reasons.

I steer clear of most used gear as it's a fight to get a decent deal and there's the risk of hidden problems, but a known good, low-mileage example of one of these at a low price would be my recommendation as well.

11. I just don't think you'll be disappointed by going ahead and getting the American Standard. Great quality bass used by a ton of musicians the world over and I think the extra money really does translate into a better quality. Not that the Mexican made standards aren't good, the Americans are just better.

12. Right here in the classified section. I havent bought a new bass since 2007. There are tons of great deal here. They are very cool people to deal with also.

13. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    Can I ask what the bunch of reasons are?

14. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    Shop used if you can, American or Mexican.

You can often find MIM Jazz basses from the late 90's and early 00's in the $300-400 range sometimes cheaper and usually within driving distance so you can see it its is a solid player or not. They are a great value purchase. I see no reason to go new if your gonna get MIM. Use the cash you saved to upgrade the bridge.

15. ...or how about a Squier CV or VM Jazz? Try a few - you may end up just as happy if not moreso, and save even more $$$.

16. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Don't settle for less

17. If you can afford it, the American is the way to go, whether you buy used or not. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Standard just because it's cheaper. Same goes for the Squier basses. If you can try them out first, do so, and whatever you can afford, get the one that appeals to you the most.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been debating my "next last bass" for a while now. Last week I went American Standard. They play great, sound great. Hard to go wrong. Yeah, they cost more but...

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've gone into it at great length in numerous prior posts along with my technical explanations, but in short -- the fragile finish, the machines, the bridge, typically inadequate lateral clearance in the pocket and the case. In its favor are the lack of straplocks and Mickey Mouse control circuitry tricks.

20. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I must agree to some extent with the above post — but that doesn't change the fact that I'd enter a burning house to save my MIA Jazz 08. :)