1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I grab this Squier MusicMaster?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Seller wants $150 and that's as low as he'll go. Described as in new condition and hardly ever played. It's about a 50 mile drive for me so I pretty much have to commit to taking it to get him to hold it for me until I get there.

Attached Files:

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

50 miles here is nothing - I've driven farther for dinner.

Looks like a winner if it's nice and clean. I'd go for it.

3. id be on that , in my car and area thats about 20$ there and back , those are worth 250-300$

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it looks like it already has a duncan pickup in it too.

5. I would do it! But then again i drive that far to work!

6. the pickup is actually stock , but i bet its close to a duncan. If your looking for a shortie these are the ones to go for , there really nice nothing like the newer squier shorts , those are nice basses but these are a step above, vista series squiers are mid 90s and japan made.

If there was one like that 50 miles away from me id be on the road already, but if you dont need/want a shortie it wouldnt be worth my time.

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. I don't NEED another shorty, but I always want one LOL! Plus it looks pretty cool.
    I sent an email reply saying if he could hold it for me a couple of days I would take it. Just waiting to hear back. We'll see if a Musicmaster is in the cards for me.

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I bought one last Spring for $118 and I love it. It's a great little bass.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I bought on just like that one a few months ago and it is a killer bass with a hot pup. I would be driving right now to get it at that price , I paid $225 and it was mint. They are going for $300 on the bay and are getting hard to find since they were only made 1 year. Great construction and tone.

10. redzebra6

redzebra6

Mar 31, 2010
    Exiled in Texas
    Funny thing about the p'up, that's what brought that particular bass to my attention when I got mine a couple of years back off of eBay. Saw the pole pieces, thought it was a Duncan, knew nothing of the bass (or the series) itself, and just thought it was a type of modified Bronco. Only to find it happened to be one of the better mistakes I've made.

While the rest of the Vista series was made in Japan, the bass was made in China. A good, simple, solid bass manufactured for one year, making them a a little bit more rarer everyday. It was one of those things that Squier got right. Plus the one you're looking at is not black (like mine, not that I'm complaining :)) and one the 'cooler' looking colors, I would totally rock that.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes they were made in China and from what I was told production stopped cuz they were taking away the MIJ SS Market from Fender..they are that good. The pup on that bass is killer with great tone and even some growl.

12. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I'd go for it, on the account of the color alone, plus a matching headstock... yummy! :)

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Looks like I waited a little too long, as I have not heard back again. Just sent another email so still keeping my fingers crossed but it doesn't look good.

14. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I'd take it in a heartbeat

15. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    Looks to be in good condition. I doubt I would drive 50 miles out of my way for a bass, but that's a pretty good deal.

16. I would make the drive for that bass at $150. I was seriously considering that exact model a few months back. I couldn't find a decent looking one for under $300.

In reviews I read a lot of raves for the stock pickup.

17. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    I missed it. Oh well, that's what I get for hesitating. It's probably just as well, as I already have a couple of great shortscales and really didn't need another.

18. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, here is something funny. I just bought this bass yesterday. The person who beat me to it back in January put it back up for sale and I snagged it for the same price of $150.
    In the meantime he even put some nice flatwound strings on it for me :)

19. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    Clearly it was meant to be. let us know how you like it.

20. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    That's a 40 minute ride. What did you do in the last 40 minutes?