1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I have more headroom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm right on the line here so I'm going to ask yall...
    I have a QSC RMX 2450 that I'm using in stereo mode 750W at 4 ohms into my 5.3 ohm Epifani 310...
    At my gig last night I had the amp up as high as 3 O'Clock.
    Should I just bridge mono at this point or is it fine to run 1 channel that much? Would I get cleaner power? I running the amp at 3 o'clock isn't starting to add distortion or pushing that side too much then I'd rather just stay 1 channel vs. bridging.
    Thanks guys

2. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

You can run the amp at full bore and limit the volume with your preamp. You are using a pre, right? As long as it sounds good I would not worry about where a knob is set at, it is all realative to the amp and they are not all the same.

Those amps are made to be run at full settings and the knobs are actually attenuators to turn them down to match them to different input signals.

BTW the distortion numbers also reflect the amp at full throttle so I would not worry about distortion entering into the equation unless you are murdering the cabinet, but then I would let my ears be the judge. I always say - hear with your ears and not your eyes.

As far as bridging, give it a try and see if you like the sound. I have found that it adds a lot of fatness to the sound even if it is not cranked. That QSC is a very nice amp. Gear is meant to experiment with, have fun and develop your ears to tell you when you are asking more of the equipment than it can give.

3. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Whatever makes you happy. Try it out and see if bridging it gives it any more clarity or punch. I doubt it will cause it doesn't sound like your coming anywhere near the edge of that setups limitations but hell, if you got time to f around, why not!

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That says nothing about how much power it was putting out. Depending on the output of your pre it might have been 600 watts, or it may have been 60. Chances are closer to 60 than 600, since a 3x10 will distort pretty heavily with much more than 300. About all you'd gain from bridging is the increased potential to toast your drivers.

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I have an Eden Navigator which is always set to use the max green lights without getting into the red. Gain & Master is about 50% but again its all about the staying in the green to not clip the pre or send an under signal with 2 sets of green lights.
    With that said I was just wondering if as you had the amp that high for 3+ hours you'd be safer running it bridged for the amps sake or distortion...

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    it is possible ...very possible, that you're at the max of the 3x10. More watts could mean dead drivers.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I think after tonight I'll be gigging with my Eden 6x10. I don't really move the drivers much with my playing as I use a 4 string bass that is mid heavy with little lows. I agree though that I'm going to protect the 310 by using the 610 which on my loudest day I barely get those cones moving at all.

8. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Well if your cautious and you know the limitations of the cabinet use whatever sounds better. Dont just use one because it has a higher power rating unless that is of course you think your getting to close to destroying your cab. If you dont mind using a 610 then by all means use it.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Since you don't know what nominal level the Navigator puts out at 0dB, as Bill says, you don't know what the power amp is doing.

The Nav has an internal jumper to change the output level.

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Not sure about the nominal level... what I do know is that I'm sending a strong healthy unclipped signal to my navigator right where it is supposed to be & thats going to my poweramp. Id say the nominal level is average for whatever the Navigator puts out.

The question is if running a single channel at 90% for 3 hours is safer, the same or more dangerous than bridging the amp @ 40% or so. Again, all assuming a level normal healthy signal from my Navigator with EQ flat across the board, no slapping.

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The QSC should be able to run full blast all night long, as long as it has proper airflow.

12. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Then thats a vote for the QSC operating 90% in single mode the SAME as bridge mono at 40%ish.
    Cool thanks