1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I help out a friend with her amp fund?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HoosierBassist, Jan 26, 2012.

1. HoosierBassist

HoosierBassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Hey,

I've got a friend, a very close friend. She's the guitarist in my blues-rock duo, and she is saving up for a Fender Blues Jr, tube amp.

She says she still needs over 100$. So I assume she has at least 200$ of it paid off. I think it costs her 400-500$ total. I told her I wanna help out, because she really deserves this.

I've got 60$ on me as of now. I will donate at least all the pocket change (nickels dimes pennies quarters) i have. I have a huge heavy bag of change I will never ever use. I like being generous.

She says she doesn't want to accept handouts. she wants to work hard for it. but i think she already has. but I love her.

2. So take the change and cash to where see has it laid away and payoff what ever it pays off. When she finds out tell her the devil bass gods made you do it. :D

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Think you answered your own question there.

4. Introduce her to Craigslist, where she can sell her old unused stuff to get the $300 it takes to buy a Blues Junior on Craigslist.

5. If she's a good friend, do it, but keep in mind, if you want to keep her friendship, you're gifting her the money. A loan between friends will put a splitter between you two.

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Let her work it off :)

Come on....... you knew somebody was going to say it eventually.

7. +1 Better to give than to "loan" If she insists on repayment, tell her you hope she cooks well 'cause dinner is on her ;)

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What sort of "friend" is this?:p

Perhaps there are other ways she could work it off?

Really, like somebody already said, bj's are $300 on cl all day long.

No....you pervert.....that stands for Blues Junior.

9. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    16 minutes was a ridiculously long time for us to wait for that :p

+1 to all the gift vs. loan comments, money between friends is never fun.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If ya want some really good karma, somehow slip her the money anonymously. Whether it be at the store, sneaking it into her bag somehow, or figuring out something creative.

If you're doing it because you'd like something (anything, including her liking you) in return, find something better to do with your money.

11. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    my best friend had his 18th burthday .. we collected something over 1100eur for his new amp :D

12. As stated before... If you want to help her out because you like her, and she likes you... Or because you want her to like you... Then I'd say "No."

If you want to get her something, find another item. Let her pay for it herself. If she's anything like me, doing so will result in a form of gratification that gifts cannot give.

How about an amp stand? Or a cool vintage styled coil-cable? Or a matching Fender shirt?

Heck, you mentioned blues band... How about a pair of Wayfarer clones and a black fodora? (Sp?)

Basically, let her have this one. =P

13. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    If you feel like you can give her the cash ask if she's cool with accepting it.

The musician life is a crazy crazy trip, maybe down the road you'll need a favor from her? A place to crash, a last minute sub. etc.

At the same time I understand where she's coming from. No one ever offered to buy me a P-bass, but buying my first Fender P-bass with my own $ I earned from gigs was a great feeling.

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Despite your inherent male desire to fix things and help a young woman in need, you shouldn't deny her the satisfaction of working for something she wants and finishing what she started.

If you like/love her, say it to her face. That will mean way more than $60.

15. Agreed.

16. Interested in taking guitar lessons from her?

If not, perhaps you could fake it through them. She would be earning her cash, and wouldn't have that "handout" feeling you described.

Does she have other talents you can use to "help her with the fund"?
    House/yard work, cooking lessons, etc?

17. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I actually really like this one... The amp stand, very useful. They also make a vinyl cover for those amps, I think $20 range.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm assuming you're pretty young...if not, disregard, but if you are, can I give you a little advice? If you're doing this out of niceness and not expecting her to put out for you as a result, then I think that's a very nice thing you're doing. But save your money if this is an attempt to win her love. She's gotta dig you for you. Trust me...I've tried it ;)

19. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    If she's using a BJ, she'll need an amp stand for sure. Those things are tiny. +1 on using CL, you'll find great deals, and BJ's are only around $350 most of the time around these parts.

I actually hold an opposite opinion to what many people are saying against the loan thing. My lead guitarist is a close friend, and he's down quite a bit on my tab right now. I understand things can get tough for him, since he's still studying and I'm working, so I never pressure him about the money, and I don't think that has changed our friendship at all.

Especially when dealing on CL, sometimes the perfect deal just pops up, a little loan can go a long way.

20. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    +1 to all of this...add a trust me onto Jimmy's.....