1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should I jump on this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    You might break it.

2. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    :eek::D

HAHA, I almost choked on my own spit. XD

Anyway, to answer the OP's question I'm really not too sure on Hot Rod P bass pricing so you're guess is as good as mine. Actually, you're guess is more important than mine seeing as it's your money at risk here. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I wouldn't because that's no deal. There is another thread on tb and the average used price was around 750 or so....

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

That's really overpriced.

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ok good to know.
    but do consider I'm in Canada and that exported basses will always cost a bit more here...
    I've seen little info on this bass, but it seems to basically be an American Standard p-bass with an added j-bass pickup...with the thru-body bridge and all.
    Around here, new AS p-basses go for around 1500$

6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm in Montreal and had also seen that ad. It's definitely overpriced.

7. I'm also Canadian but I still think you'll find a better deal if you hold out a bit longer. (You might even see the seller re-post the same bass with a reduced price.)

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    If it checks out offer him 800 and see what happens from there. You could always buy one used in the states, pick it up in Champlain NY and bring it back across the border. I do it all the time and I always save over what I would have paid in Montreal.....

9. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ok...but is this bass bad or something though? I've never tried a Hot Rod, but being american made and all, you'd think it's a nice instrument

10. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ps: btw I always bargain for used things; if the guy's not willing to lower the price, even a tiny amount, I don't buy!

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that bass. It's a very nice instrument.

12. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    well then if it's in great shape, why is 1200 overpriced?
    was it sold at that price new?

13. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ooh...is it one of those P/Js that fails as a P and fails as a J...?

14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    The point that people are making is that their average selling price is lower than 1200. You can find a better deal if you're patient. It's not because of some flaw with the instruments...

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Used examples of this bass often sell below $700. The difference of $500 is a lot of money.

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Smcd is right on the money. The asking price is ridiculous......

17. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Ok...but if a new American Standard p is 1500, and if this is the same but with an added jazz PU, im just trying to find the "trap" if you will. I've never come across a 700$ used american p bass...

18. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The pickups are different than the ones found on American Standard. Not necessarily better or worse, but different.

There's no trap here. Just someone asking too much money for a Fender bass. You can be patient and shop around and save some money.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am also in Canada and was raised on Fender, I learned when I ordered my first Fender (2004, so the dollar was nowhere near parity) that Fender is one of the few companies that charges the same MSRP in both countries. Mind you this is before the internet, and people still sold stuff at list price, not internet price. Country has nothing to do with it.

So yeah, that $1200 is a big ripoff, if it was in amazing shape and it was something I was looking for I would go up to $1000 without skipping a beat, wouldn't even entertain the idea of $1200