Should I Just Cut My Losses on this Bass? (P-Bass Related)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamHD, May 31, 2005.

1. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I'm wanting to get an American Fender P-Bass, but I'm debating if I should just try and find an American P Neck and put it on my GTX-200 Bass and save some cash instead. I've already spend money to upgrade the pups and pots a few years ago, and I think sounds pretty good overall. (Passive Bass-Lines Pups)

From playing P-Basses at the stores, I realized that there IS a difference in feel between an American Neck and a Mexi Neck.

Anyway, looks like I can probably find a good, Fender original used neck for about $300.00 on eBay, versus about $1,000 for a new P-Bass.

Would I be wasting my money on this GTX because I'll ultimately want to still get a full P-Bass?

I know it's ultimately up to me, but what would you do? :confused:

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Firstly, I doubt you'd be able to find a P-neck that would retrofit onto you bass, as they're usually 20/21/22 frets, and your GTX has 24. I believe Warmoth does offer a 24-fret extention neck, but again - I don't think it would fit your bass without some major work, likely costing more than the bass itself.

My opinion? Find a decent MIM/MIA or copy P/J bass on the used market or build your own using quality parts (you can find some great deals in Warmoth's "Showcase" section), strip the basslines from you GTX, and install those. An easy way of saving yourself some money on both a new bass as well as getting something out of your GTX.
  3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I think that it is a waste of time to put a USA P neck on that bass, and I don't think it will work the way you think it will since you have a 24 fret neck on that GTX.

You can find a nice used USA made American Standard Fender P for about $600 and they are very good basses. My 97 w/ maple neck is every bit a USA Fender and it cost about half of that $1000 number.
  4. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for the quick replies. Those pictures are actually about a month old. The GTX is "fretless" now. I filled-in the fret slots with purple-heart veneer strips.

Anyway - Great eye!! You both noticed the 24 frets, which is the reason I mainly don't like to use that bass.

The frets feel very different (Spacing) between that and my Stingray. The P-Bass neck feels very similar to the Stingray neck, so that would keep things feeling somewhat the same to me when switching basses.

So I take if from your replies that putting a 20-21 Fret neck on something that was designed for a 24 fret is a big mistake?
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Big mistake. Even if the neck pocket somehow fit you would have major problems with intonation and I doubt that the bridge could be relocated back far enough to compensate.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You should be able to find a COMPLETE american P-bass on the classifieds here or Ebay for about $500. Continuing to upgrade a cheap bass is a total waste of time, since the sound starts in the wood, and that little GTX will never sound like a real P-bass.
  7. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks again for the replies. Sounds like I should park that GTX and forget about it.

Glad I asked before diving into a neck purchase...

Great help, thanks!