Should I just use My sansamp Bass D.I box

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ldiezman, Sep 21, 2001.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    On my bands first CD, I ran my bass into my Sansamp Bass driver, to my amp, and from there to the digital recorder..... I didn't really cut through like I wanted to but If I turned my amp up, I would distort like a mad man.. My bass at the time was a steinberger and did not cut through worth crap... Now I have a stingray5 and cutting through is not a problem.. So should I just use my sansamp and not lug around my amp... I am just curious as to hat you guys think..thanks... we are in the process of recording our new cd that is why I am asking
  2. When we record the engineer has always put the DI box in line with the amp AND mic'd the amp. That way we got two bass tracks one colored, one clean and mixed them accordingly.
    I just want his compressor 'cause it made my bass sound cool
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You could do either, it's really a matter of preference. You should be able to use the sans amp by itself though, to answer the question.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    "Lug around my amp"... you mean to the recording studio, or are you recording live shows?

The BDDI will be great for the recording, but the live stage show is another story. If the PA is the usual 200-watt stereo thing with 12" spks mounted on poles, you are probably NOT going to be satisfied with your sound IN THE ROOM because this system was simply not designed for bass. If this is the case you'll probably need to keep schlepping the amp. I have to in my band, and it's a smooth jazz thing that doesn't play very loud!

But if you have a 500W per side biamped monster sound system with separate subwoofer bins... you might be OK without the amp.

Next gig, bring the amp but leave it to the side and do a sound check with just the BDDI and the PA. If you're not happy, you can always hook up the amp.
  5. I'd try using the SABDDI direct to the recording unit, without first going to your amp. That's what it was best designed for. If you like the sound of your amp miked, then take the dry/unaffected signal from the BassDriver and send that to your amp.

My experience is that sending the wet signal to my amp ends up in mud, no matter what the owner's manual says. The unit was best designed for when you want to record direct, or send a direct signal to the soundboard for live sound. Keep it away from your bass amp.

My 2c....