1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I keep doing what Im doing ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mike 257, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Im right at 6 months with my bass now, I have been watching Utube clips , looking at Studybass.com. I have a ton of books . I attempt to play along to music. I am having a lot of fun. I am definitely better than I was 6 months ago. I can impress people who don't know any better. Im feeling a lot more comfortable on my bass.

I know I will need lessons at some point my question is should I go a few more months doing what Im doing or should I go now ? Im 49 yrs old and am putting a lot of pressure on myself to learn a lot faster than if I were 20 yrs younger. My goal is at my 3 year mark I want to be pretty decent. I want to be good at slap and want to be able to hear a song and play it.

2. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    I applaude your dedication and understand your desire to improve. It sounds like you are on the right track (and well beyond my abilities), but I would think that seeking the advice of a master bassman would only benefit your obtainment of the goal you seek!

3. Dazzare

Dazzare

Dec 3, 2011
    Keep on keeping on man. I wish I had this kind of dedication. If you really want to be able to hear a song and just play it. You need to start on some ear training. Start with Intervals from your Major Scale and go on from there.
    GNU Solfege - free ear training software is a free site with some free ear training software.

With slap it's not some mystical technique that improves your bassiness by 5000%. So don't put it on a pedestal. It's as easy as it sounds go check out the Technique forum and look for Slap Bass Welcome Center.

4. If you are not already with a band see about making this happen. Playing with others will open many new doors.

Jamming session on the week-end is IMO one of the fun things about music. Jamming forces you to learn those other things.

Good luck.

5. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    I actually had someone at the local music store ask if I wanted to join there church band after they heard me trying out a bass. I thought they were joking with me . Seriously Im not quite ready for a band unless were just going to stay in the garage.

When Im watching utube clips and the person says there playing in E or there playing in A , I dont know what that means or where that is on my bass and that is just one of the reasons why I think lessons are going to be in my near future .

I am at a point now where I think I waste a lot of time trying to figure out things so Im going to combine what I do with professional lessons but first I want to get my pinky finger a little more involved . once I can get all my fingers to work together I will start lessons. Then there are times I say I will stay on my own for a year then start lessons. I mean if I can get twice as good in another 6 months now than I am now I will be pretty happy.

6. Until then here is something that helped me.
    [​IMG]
    Major Scale Box.

G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string

The director says; OK the next one is Kiss Ole Kate in C, ready 1 and 2 and.....

Take the major scale box pattern. Place the R (root) over the C note (E string 8th fret) and play the pattern. The pattern will automatically have the correct notes waiting within the pattern for you. Want to play in the key of G. Place the pattern's R on the E string 3rd fret and G major scale notes await you.

Basic Chords
    Major Triad = R-3-5 aka C
    Minor Triad = R-b3-5 aka Cm
    Diminished Chord = R-b3-b5 aka Cdim

7th Chords
    Maj7 = R-3-5-7 aka Cmaj7
    Minor 7 = R-b3-5-b7 aka Cm7
    Dominant 7 = R-3-5-b7 aka C7
    ½ diminished = R-b3-b5-b7 aka Cm7b5 or C with the little circle with a strike through.
    Full diminished = R-b3-b5-bb7 aka C with the little circle and no strike through.

Want Amaj7 use the same R-3-5-7 just move the R over an A note. The 3, 5 & 7 will always be in the same place waiting on you.

Using fake chord sheet music - see a chord and play the chord's tones. Start with just roots (R-R-R-R), when that is easy add the 5 (R-5-R-5). Need something else think of adding the 8 (R-5-8-5). Need more add the correct 3 and 7 (R-b3-5-b7).

Fake chord sheet music and the major scale box pattern and you will be able to hold your own in any garage band.

Fake chord:
    Code:
    C                  G       		
    Happy birthday to you
                       C
    Happy birthday to you
                           G  F
    Happy birthday to dear name
    F         C    G  C
    Happy birthday to you
    "Hap-py" gets two C, so will "birth-day" then the word "to" gets one C and on "you" change to the G note. Keep going one note per lyric word. Two syllable words get two notes.

Most bands pass among themselves fake chord sheet music on the songs they play. Makes since to learn how to play from fake chord. I bet the rhythm guitar will have fake chord on what the band will play. All you have to do is ask for it.

AZChords.com >>> Tablatures, Tabs, Chords for Guitar and Bass

Have fun.

7. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Thank You Malcolm

8. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    ahhh...hahaha lol ... this is cool now I know happy birthday lol , it sounds just like to too .very cool

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Quote"I actually had someone at the local music store ask if I wanted to join there church band after they heard me trying out a bass. I thought they were joking with me . Seriously Im not quite ready for a band unless were just going to stay in the garage."

You should have taken them up on it...even for once or twice a month. It would have improved your playing faster than anything else that you could do.

10. Get a teacher and don't put any time marks. Relax and enjoy the ride.

11. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Oldcat , I have another guy in my neighborhood around my age but he is a guitar player and he wants to get some guys together to jam in his house . but he has been playing for a while and I know nothing . Im a little intimidated about jamming right now .

Setebos I will remove the time marks , there is just no sense in putting pressure on myself . I am really loving the progress I have made already and I am having a great time .My bass is always within arms reach when Im home so even if a commercial comes on tv that has bass in it I reach over and grab my bass .

I have had a lot of hobbies in my life but nothing has held my interest like bass, there is not a day gone by in 6 months that I have not picked up my bass and practiced , and when Im laying on the couch Im staring at it , I think Im in love with my bass lol