Should I keep my bass in waiting?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Hey, I'm currently in the final phase of recieving my new bass from my fellow TB'er, and I think I remember reading something here about when the bass arrives, I should leave it in the case for the day... what's the point of this? I'm an impatient bastard, and I want to play my new bass asap... Is it really worth it to let it sit?
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I believe this has to do with the temperature. If it is really cold out when it is delivered, the bass may react to the sudden change in temperature when taken out of an ice cold case in a warm house. I don't think this will be all that extreem, but it is what I've heard. I'm not sure a full 24 hours is really nessecary either. Maybe just a few hours to let it warm up to room temperature.
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yea 24 hours is a bit paranoid. If it were like 20 degrees outside, and 78 degrees inside, I'd give it probably 2 hours.
  4. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I'd rather be a bit on the paranoid side than be sorry. If you're going to expose it to a 50 degree difference in temperature, I'd wait more than 2 hours. Depending upon the case, they can hold temperatures for a long time so it would take a while for the case to dissipate the cold.
  5. Yep, keep it in it's case for 24 hours. It's the rate of change in temperature / humidity that can case a number of nasty problems to your bass, so leaving it in the case will ease the process of acclimation.
  6. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i gave mine i think 5 hours (maybe, i forget). it probably changed maybe 40-50 degrees in temperature between outside and inside my house. it was still cold when i took it out, but there's nothing wrong with it, so i'm happy.
  7. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    aw Kevin!

Maybe I should buy a really big thermos, pack it in there, then send you the bass.
  8. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    just leave the bass alone for a couple hours and surf while you're waiting.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Not that big a deal. Humidity is what really causes issues in wooden instruments

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Not so...when we're talking about wood and the finish. They expand and contract at different rates. Your case is filled with styro, which insulates the bass by temperature and from shock... It will denfinitely take more than a few hours for the temperatures to equalize, and YOU want it to go slowly. I've had a bass finish shatter from going from cold to hot (in a playing situation). I'm going to leave you with a little picture of my 73 Precision, which had temperature problems at one time, well before I got it. It should give you the motivation to leave that case over night.

11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i got my Sterling, i let it sit for about 5 hours. It was still a little cold when i took it out but its fine. If i wasnt in such a hurry i would have left it over night.
  12. Burning skies sealed it for me, I guess I am going to leave it for about 15-24 just because I really dont want a "crackle" flame paint job on my bass.
  13. +1. Better safe than sorry. Waiting's a real pisser, isn't it!;)
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yeah, I hear you. I happen to love it on my ol' Precision, it gives the bass loads of character and 'mojo', but I wouldn't want it to happen to my Dingwall. I'm uber cautious about not letting any of my gear sit too long in a car, or driving to a gig with my bass in the trunk.

The bass I did this to, was an ol' early 80's Ibanez Roadstar. We had a gig in NYC, and my bass was in a cold car trunk for about 6+ hours (it was an unavoidable situation and it was sub-zero outside). When we got to the club the load in was a backstage room with no heat that was in the 40's. From there, it was right on stage that was overlit with seriously waaaay too much lighting and it was easily around 80+ degrees. When the roadstar went, it wasn't pretty or uniform. Two or three big finish cracks down the length of the body on both the front and back. Ugh. The same gig our guitarist had his 'backup' guitar stolen by someone who worked @ the club. We took out the equivalent $$$ in broken stage gear that night. A bad night was had by all.
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Kevin, that would be a shame.
    The bass has a glass like natural finish and better be safe than sorry
  16. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Yikes! This is a good reminder for me. When my new bass arrives I hope the air is the same in as out! It will be serious business waiting to open it up! Serenity now! Serenity now!
  17. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I had a Rickenbacker shipped to me in the winter that was still cold even days after it was in my house.