1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I keep my Carvin PB5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pep, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Keep it!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Sell it!

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I'm trying to determine if I need to keep my Carvin PB5 (active) bass. Even though I love it I seldom play it because I really don't need the low B. It's been used maybe 12 times in 2 years and only on one tune per night. Sure I could play it more but I have somewhat small hands so I'm a bit quicker on a 4 string.
    This was my dream bass as it has everything I thought I needed. It's like brand new with no nicks, scratches or dents.

Swamp Ash body with Satin Black finish with exposed (unsealed) grain, Black laminated pick guard, Black hardware, P-Bass split pickup only with active electronics, Satin finish on the neck
    Headstock is satin black, Neck has an ebony fretboard (requested solid black/unstreaked), No fretboard markings/side dots only and Stainless Steel Medium Jumbo frets.

This was a special order body finish from Carvin. They had never finished a body in black satin that hadn't been sanded and sealed, so they tried it on a couple of scrap pieces of swamp ash and sent me hi-def photos. They charged me an extra $100 for the special work, and ended up offering the finish as an option. I had hoped they reward me for it and they did, kinda. I got two sets of strings and a white pick guard should I ever decide to use it. wow!

I hate to keep such a nice bass in a case and hardly ever use it, so this is a tough one. I'm asking you, my peers, should I keep it or replace it with something I would use more.

Thanks in advance.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bad thing about selling a custom Carvin is you'll be lucky to get half of what you paid for it because you have to find somebody that wants the same options you wanted.

pcake likes this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I've seen your bass on here and on the Carvin site, it is a beauty. That said something you play will be played more.

Tough call. I would keep it.

4. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    There's not a lot about it that's unusual. I'm not into active basses myself. This one has one push/pull knob that switches it from active to passive so I have that option.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I would keep it and make a conscious effort to use it more.

petrus61 likes this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This right here. You may find that your hands are more comfortable with it than you think after actually giving it a chance. Selling it wouldn't likely bet a fair price anyway, so why not make the best of the decision you made to go custom to in the first place?

7. I agree with eastcoast eddie and petrus61 - keep it. It is a truly custom bass that you had made for you - not an easy thing to afford or find. My hats are off to Carvin for offering custom made basses for reasonable prices. It is another "arrow in your quiver", and a custom made one, at that. It'll come in handy one day and you'll be glad you kept it.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Only sell it if you truly need the money. Between the fact that it is a Carvin, and a custom Carvin, you will get murdered on re-sale.

twinjet likes this.
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I sold my '94 Stingray in 2011 because I needed the money. I still regret it, though...

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yup - unless you buy used and get a good deal, you will almost always lose money. But with custom instruments, and even worse, custom Carvins, the bite is worse.

11. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I appreciate all the input. It's going to stay right where it is for now. I'll post it in the classifieds if I decide to entertain offers.
    Thanks guys!

12. Good decision!

...can we have a pic or two?

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. Custom finish and no photos? Not very TB.

And if you don't play it because you "don't need" a low B that means you really haven't learned to play it yet.

Anyway the TB rule is: You can never own too many basses. (especially when they have low resale)

Crusher47 and murphy like this.
  14. I like the cut of your jib, sir.

murphy likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Keep it. It is better to have and not need a good five string than to need and not have it.

16. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have one ready for you. PB5 (1).

17. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    That thing is awesome. Keeps.

ajkula66 likes this.
  18. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Played maybe twelve times in two years. Sorry I voted sell. I'd put the $$$ towards something I would play more than six times a year. Of course, just my .02.

19. Hot damn.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would jeed4to see pics first. You might need to send it to me. :wacky: