Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I keep my Cirrus? Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barthanatos, Mar 13, 2006.

1. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Okay, so right now I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 fretless.

On order is a Rob Allen MB-2 5-string fretless.

I didn't particularly need the new bass - I have no complaints about the Cirrus. It's just that the Rob Allen is soooo sweet.

So why should I keep my Cirrus? Would there be some advantage to maybe keeping it around tuned EADGC, or maybe having nickel-roundwounds on it (vice Labella 760n on the RA) to offer some tonal variation?

Is there a different way a bass should be set up to be more slap-oriented (I have virtually no slapping skill)?

Your opinions are welcome. What would you do?

I don't really need the money from selling the Cirrus, so the only reasons to part with it would be:
    • it is totally redundant
    • I have a close friend who could use a bass. I would like him to have it.

2. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    You should give the Cirrus to me so it can hang out with its 4-string cousin. I guarantee it a loving and safe home!

3. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Y'know... I knew somebody would say that.

Help?

4. fredfarmer

fredfarmer

Feb 5, 2006
    You could keep it as a backup?
    If that is not needed...
    I've always been a firm believer in helping out my friends.:ninja:

5. Personally, I would keep the Cirrus as a backup.

I also think it's better to sell a bass, or anything else when you don't need the money. The flip side of that are the countless stories of regret told by people who have sold instruments (myself included) only to miss them later on.

I once sold a bass at a very steep discount to a friend whom I thought would appreciate it only to find out that he, not so long after I sold it to him then sold it to someone else for a nice profit. :rollno: I viewed it as a friend helping out a friend, he viewed it as a business opportunity.

C'est La Vie.

Mike

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Having had both, the tone will not be totally redundant. Throw some d'addario XLs on the Cirrus and I am sure you will be getting a different sound. Question is, do you really want to fretlesses? Any thoughts on one fretted and one fretless? ESpecially since you are mentioning slap. I know a lot of people slap on a fretless, I definitely prefer the tone of it done on a fretted. But then again, that is pretty specific as well. However, don't think about slapping the Allen, not what it does.

7. +1.... totally different sound... with the Rob Allen being very acoustic and requiring tapewound flats, and the Cirrus being a traditional fretless electric that would sound great with roundwound steels or nickels. The Rob Allen does not sound at all like a fretless EB... much more acoustic.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Keep it. Never sell a bass you love in favor of a replacement for at least 6 months, or better yet a year. The honeymoon period will wear off on the Rob Allen and you might end up liking the cirrus better!

Then, at the end of the cooling off period, if you still prefer the Allen for your fretless, trade the peavey for a fretted Cirrus. I've had people request I use a frett bass ... not because I couldn't play the song in tune, but just because it is such a different sound. Theres a time and place for each.

9. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Okay, I totally dig the wait a year idea, as well as the option of trading for a fretted Cirrus.

Thanks all.

10. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My ears are bleeding :(

There is nothing I love more basswise than a Cirrus - to hear someones wanting to get rid of one makes my eyes rain :(

11. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Keep it!!!! The Rob Allen is a fretless that kinda mimics the sound of an upright...its very acoustic sounding. The Cirrus is going to have that more aggressive electric bass sound.

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    It might be a good idea to hang onto the Cirrus for a little variety in your stable. The Cirrus can provide you with a little more 'punch' from the magnetic pups, change up in tone, and you never know when you might need a back up. Also ya might just miss it one day.
    Rezdog

13. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Okay, okay. Keeping the Cirrus.

Thanks again guys for making the decision easy.