1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I leave a gap between amp and rack tuner in rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El Raro, Oct 16, 2013.

1. I just picked up a rack tuner to go with my head so now I need a rack case to fit it all in place. Both units will take up 3 rack spaces but I was wondering if I should invest in a 4RU case to have a gap between the amp and the tuner for the sake of ventilation? For the record, I'm using an SWR Bass 350 head which has some sort of vent holes on the top of it (whether or not that directly impacts circulation I'm not sure).

On that note, if I were to one day chuck in a rack preamp or wireless system in that gap, would I risk overheating the equipment at all? As you can probably tell, I'm new to rack case setups.

Thanks!

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    If there are holes on the top of the head, I would leave a gap. I use an SVT 4 Pro which does not have vent holes on top and I still leave a gap under and above it. I don't think I would have a problem if I didn't leave a spaces but for me, its just piece of mind.

3. You don't want to cover vents. Leave a space.

OR

Mount it in the top of the rack with vent holes cut in the rack case.

4. Sweet, good to know. Thanks guys!

5. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    I used to have a Studio 220 with a rack tuner above it. Only attended jam sessions with it, but after a couple of hours it got plenty hot. Definately leave a space!!

6. If your tuner is not deep enough to cover the top vents, not much to worry about.

7. Good point. If the tuner is shallow enough, and the vents are deep enough, then you already are leaving a space.

Just don't block vents.