1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I lose some of these? Or keep the lot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 24, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Like a lot of us (I guess), I have too many basses, really. I love 'em all, but being honest I would have to say many are seriously underused. Here's a rundown. Tell me what to do, I'm really confused here!

1) Rick 4003 Fireglo. I always wanted one of these as a kid and it's a great instrument, but it only gets played at home these days.
    2) Geddy Lee Jazz - I bought this because I wanted a nice passive J and I was going to fit a pair of Nordy NJ4SVs I had into it to make a perfectly quiet passive bass for recording; not got round to it yet!
    3) Stingray 4 3EQ - looks beautiful, plays like a dream, but the tone just does not do it for me.
    4) 78 P - great bass, love the sound, weighs a ton. It would kill my shoulder to play a full gig with this one. Records really well, though. A bit of a nostalgia trip for me, old guys will know what I'm saying here.
    5) MIM Jazz with EMGs - this is a great instrument in all respects, way more than "the sum of its parts". This is the bass I normally keep strung with flats and they suit it perfectly. I use it for theatre work quite often, for several reasons.
    6) Cheapo Stagg SR4 copy - sling it in the car boot (er - trunk?) and forget about it. Always handy to have for a spare, and it actually plays well.
    7) Stagg SR5 copy - my only 5er, doesn't get much use.

8 and 9) My main basses, both Warmoth bodied, Status necked Jazz basses with the best electronics and hardware I could choose when I put them together. These do about 90% of my gigs and I would never part with either of them. Perfect instruments for me - well, that's why we have custom jobs, isn't it?

I also own a Tanglewood ABG - god alone knows why, although as ABGs go it's quite nice - and a Palatino EUB that I trot out from time to time.

Okay, tell me your thoughts. :)

2. Keep the Warmoths, the 78 P and the MIM Jazz. And maybe the Rickenbacker for variety.

3. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yeah, you should get rid of the Rick. Send it to me . . .

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Keep: the Ric, the Stingray, the P, both jazzes and the 5, lose the rest.

5. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    personally, i would keep all of them. but if i had to thin the herd i'd keep the Warmoths, the Geddy (but get around to the pup upgrade), the 78 P, and the Ric.

I'd keep the Ric mainly as a trophy piece. if you dont like the stingray sound, why have 3 of them? and i think the Geddy could outperform the MIM J in the studio and on stage. the warmoths sound like work horses, so keep them.

6. Oh man Bill, thinning the herd is not my specialty, especially since you listed some really nice basses, but here's my gut .02 cents FWIW...

The first two on the block if I were you would be the Ric and the Ray. Here's why:

Although I now love Rickenbacker basses, it took me a relatively long learning curve to get my head around them and get to the point where I was comfortable and could actually get good use from them in the studio and on stage. If you're not going to go through the process, you merely have a sentimental collectors item sitting there.

I have a deep respect for all things EBMM, and much to my disappointment, and just like you, I have yet to get a great tone out of one. Every time I see one in the shop, I give it another go, to no avail. Maybe I gave up too soon, but for now, that one would be headed for the door.

As for the rest, too difficult. I'm tearing up. Maybe the Geddy? I dunno, maybe not.

Good luck.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I won't tell you what I think you should do, but I can share my somewhat similar experience. In my "collecting" days I had a number of beautiful vintage basses. Finally, it came to a point where it didn't feel right to have them stashed away, only to come out on rare occasions. I decided to let them all go, including the ones I swore I'd never part with. I have no regrets. I had the privilege of owning them for several years and now someone else is enjoying them.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Do you have other things you need? Amps, cabs, pedals? If so, maybe you could sell a bass and spruce up your rig. I recently did that. I had a few too many basses because I was in a number of bands, using different tunings for each one. So, I got by with the cheapest cabs I could afford, and GASed for effects pedals that I never bought, while playing some very nice basses. Now, I'm down to one group, so I've tooled it down to two basses, bought a couple of decent cabs and I'm getting some pedals I've been wanting for a while.

Otherwise, assuming you don't need the money for anything important, there's no rule against having a lot of basses. Don't sell them unless you have to. You might not be using them now, but who knows when you will change your mind.

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks for the input, some comments there definitely chime with me. I'm in no rush to part with any of them, really, but just thinking it's a shame some are getting so little use.

The Ric I could probably sell for almost 2x what I paid for it, but it's a bass I wanted to own for about 25 years before actually buying one, so... yes, sentiment, I know.

The Ray could go, although I do love it as a player and it's beautifully made. It's also in the colours of my local football team. :D The 2 Ray copies, by the way, don't sound like Rays at all and only look vaguely the part. At about £150 each, they were the best value basses I own by a mile. Not much resale, obviously.

The more I think about it, the more I realise each one does have its own reason for being in the collection. It's just that some have more reason than others. The obvious options for me are keep 'em all, OR get rid of the lot except the two Warmoth/Status Js, which are really the only two basses I'll ever need (one fretted, one fretless, by the way). But it's the compromises between these two solutions that are interesting.

Whatever happens, I'll only part with any of them if I think they'll be played and appreciated wherever they go. I like 'em all too much just to offload them any old way - yes, I'm a big old softie in that respect.

BTW, I'm not particularly gassing for other gear, either. I may even start similar threads in amps, or FX, or recording gear... :(

10. My hat's off to you and posters like JxBass for having the blind faith to sell off the majority of a collection.

I have what used to be a dining room stuffed full with over 100 guitars and basses. I know it is irrational. I suffer from the same illness as Rick Nielsen (who owns 2,000+).

11. i'd lose the Stingray 4 3EQ and 78p but am not old heh

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bill, Bill, Bill. Your problem is you need more basses. Are you on a new medication or something?

13. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Get thee behind me, Munji. :D

Although you're right, I have been thinking about a T-Bird and also a Status Streamline for a while, for very different reasons, obviously. Dammit! Where did I put my GAS pills?

The Streamline would go just great with my Markbass combo. The ultimate portable gig setup. I could go to some of my jobs on the bus!

14. SHWAG

SHWAG

Sep 8, 2009
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Based on the information you provided, you should only keep numbers 1, 2, and 4 (as well as your Warmoths). Like you said, the other don't get much playtime and you don't really like the tone of the Stingray.

15. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Keep them all unless you need the money or space. Get more if you have the money and the space.

OOD likes this.
  16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Ditto.

17. Keep all of them! Or lose the Stingray and get a 2 band EQ version.

18. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I agree with mun ;)

19. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Just to clarify, just 'cause I sold off a bunch doesn't mean I haven't bought any since :)

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'm in the same boat with 10 basses. I need the money, and I should sell some off, but I have no idea which ones should go.

I'd vote for selling off the Ray. I own one, and I think it'll be the first to go. Such a special sound, for sure, but I'm not really a 4-string guy, the tone isn't really *my* tone, and I don't use it enough to warrant it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020