Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I make a deal with the DEVIL and get my dream bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Okay, folks. I'm having a serious dilemma.

I've found a store that has my dream bass in stock. I have enough money to buy it. Unfortunately, from the research I've done, fewer than 50 of these basses were made, and there really aren't any other basses quite like it, in terms of sound and construction. This bass has been out of production for many years. So if I pass on it, I may never again see one for sale here or on ebay, etc.

So why not just go out and buy it?

#1. It's in Ed Roman's store. I've done enough research on this and other message boards to have read dozens of horror stories about dealing with him. Personally, I've only bought one small item (ric-o-sound) from him, and service was fine, but the hundreds of negative comments about him have me worried. I have no desire to become yet another person burned by him.

#2. They want stupid money for it. It's hard to put a price on a bass that's so incredibly rare, but he's really asking a lot, and from what I can tell, there's very little chance I can talk them down from "stupid money" to even "way overpriced." On the other hand, its a really rare bass, so who's to say what the price of such a bass should be?

#3. I can't play it before I buy it, since I live in Portland. Having read all the caveats and disclaimers on his website, I have little confidence that I'd be able to return it if there were something wrong with it. I thought briefly about flying down to Vegas, but plane tickets are expensive on short notice. OTOH, there's small chance there's much wrong with the bass given the nature of its construction.

Bottom line: If there were ANY other way of getting this bass, I wouldn't even be considering buying it. From what I've read, I shouldn't consider buying a bass from him, and they want BIG money for it. Heck, I'm not a rich guy, and I'm not a pro bass player. I don't really need it. OTOH, I don't want to kick myself over "the one that got away" either. Unfortunately, this bass is sooo rare, and I might never see one like it for sale again.

Talk me out of it, TBers!!!

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I say don't do it. All of those negatives might end up turning your dream bass into a nightmare!!

3. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Out of curiosity (if I may ask), what kind of bass and how much are they asking for it?

4. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    +1

5. BartmanPDX

It's a Steinberger XL-5WA "Wide 5" with active EQ. They want $4500. I heard the last one sold on ebay for $3000 in '03. Only 65 were ever made, fewer with active EQ. They stopped making them in 1998, and NOTHING sounds or plays like a real XL neck-through graphite Steinberger. :bawl: I'll NEVER sell my XL-2.

[​IMG]

6. Buy with your head, not your heart. Tell you heart to take a powder and be cold and calculated about this. It sounds like there are way too many reasons NOT to do it based on your posting. Follow your heart when it comes to playing -

--tz

7. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    If you re-read your post, you have already answered your question. There are way too many potential negatives to out weigh the positives.

Billy-Bob

8. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    if the ed roman rumors are true, i would say just make sure you know a great repair guy. i have 4 dream basses and the have all needed work to get them where i wanted them. good luck

9. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    As long as you get exactly the bass you're paying for in the condition it's supposed to be in and you are willing to spend the money I say go for it.

Having seen it I say only if you're a VERY serious collector.

Just my .02

10. BartmanPDX

Pic and description/price now posted above.

11. I say if you can afford it, go for it. You seem to have an awareness about the difficulty you would have trying to find another one. I say snatch it up while you have the opportunity.

12. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i just went to his site. i generally make it a point not to buy from people who have "call for price" in their ads. quit being a pain in the ass and just list the prices. even if i dont buy the bass, i'm still out cash for the phone call

13. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005

Having seen it I say only if you're a VERY serious collector.

On the other hand, if it's really your dream bass and you don't have expectations of it
    increasing in value beyond that $4,500.00, maybe you should.

14. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    If you have the money & are serious about it, go for it.

Just my opinion.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Umm....that bass is damaged. The head and body have been sheered clean off!!!!! Are you crazy? ;)

16. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    I must add that I would not do that deal mail order, only "In Person".

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats a lot of coin, but if thats your thing, then its your thing. Having a bass that matches YOUR personality is a great thing.

Have you ever tried a Zon Vinny? You could probably get one brand new for half of what this guy will cost you.

18. For $4500, you really need to try it before you buy it. One mans meat is another poison, even at that level.

Besides, would you want to be the guy stung for four and a half grand by a dealer you had heard bad things about? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

19. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    AND, I'm assuming the condition is MINT in the "honest" definition of the term.

20. BartmanPDX

Good point. :)