Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I make it fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 64lusso, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    Hi Folks,
    New to this forum and looking for your thoughts. I received a new Precision for my 15'th birthday in 1966. For some reason it's the only instrument that I have never sold to buy something new. I moved onto guitar and pedal steel in the early 70's so it's not been played much since then and is in really nice shape, I don't even recall ever taking the neck off of it.
    I have been watching e-bay for a not too expensive fretless bass to fool with and have lost out or not made reserve on several nice Warwick fretless and am now thinking about the Cort Cumbow. Since there's no chance I will get a last minute call to gig with someone on bass any time soon, would it make more sense to just get a nice Warmoth neck for my Precision and bolt it on? Or should I leave it unmessed with and keep up the hunt?
    Thanks, Jay

2. I think that Warmoth is a great idea, but you should check out www.rondomusic.net. Great inexpensive Fender clones, that everyone around here, cannot say enough about. I highly reccomend NOT getting a defret job or anything like that. It's a classic, and I personally would want to preserve that.

-ryan-

3. Don't touch your old one - its worth too much...hell if you just want to try out a fretless, there are some really cheap ones on ebay (like £90)...just don't make any rash decisions, fretless isn't for everyone, and you may well damage your Fender if you have to take it to bits to try it out - personally I'd go for either a cheap new fretless or just get a squier and pull or grind down the frets to make it fretless:D

4. ...I was thinking of mentioning SX...but that guy posted it when I was writing my reply! Yeah, nearly everyone on here likes them and say they're good for the money - I can't comment on it coz I live in England its quite hard to get them, but theuy're supposed to be worth twice or 3 times as much as they cost (in terms of build quality anyway - they're supposed to be as good or slightly better than a MIM Fender standard)

5. Cort Curbow really sucks. I can't even stand to look at it. It doesn't have a tone either...I would get a Fender and modify it. And don't ever touch the old beauty :)

6. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    :eek: Don't do that. :rollno: addylewis is right! There are so many cheap fretless basses out there to fool with: SX, MIM/Squire Fenders, ESP, Dean and some Peaveys. You may find some good deals in the For Sale section.

7. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    OK so the SX basses are not too bad huh? That's definitely a less expensive option than what I was looking at. No way would I pull the frets out of the current neck and while I know people dis-assemble Fenders all the time, the screws holding the neck on this one are virgins and I was hesitant to take them off so the 66 will stay unmolested and I will continue the hunt---Thanks--Jay

8. Welcome to TB. A great cheap(er)fretless, IMO, is the Dean Edge. They're fairly common, go for $300 or so used & sound like a much more expensive ax. I also had a Brice(Rondo/SX)6-string bass, & while it was very nice 'for the money', the Dean was just plain nice. I liked it as much or more than a fretless Spector Rebop I had, & it just unmercifully KILLED a Warwick Thumb bolt-on fretless.:eek:

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed, for what you'd pay for a nice Warmoth neck you could get a decent budget fretless, be it a new SX or a used MIM Fender Jazz fretless. That's a nice bass you got there, keep it whole.

r

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Good choice! I have a 5 string SX freteless and for the money, it's pretty nice. Whatever you do, don't take a chance and ruin that vintage Fender!! There's not enough of those beauties left in the world to risk doing that. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:

11. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Definaley don't touch that classic Fender

SX makes some nice Fender copies, as said before, they also are very good if you put in a bit of money for new pups/tuners and the like...there is a thread about someone who did a mighty fine job on an SX somewhere, I believe it is still on the first page.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with the others. Do not touch that old bass. Instead, look into a new fretless knock-off like an Essex.

13. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I agree, don't touch it. Well touch it, just don't rip the frets out. What I really want to see is pictures of the 40 year bass :) :) :)

14. Correction, the 40 year old virgin bass.;)

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Never mind all this budget fretless bass stuff. If you sold that P bass of yrs, you'd be able to buy any fretless you want! Well...this is unless yr find it impossible to let her go which is understandable.

Good luck,

r

16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

64lusso:

Touch a rarly used 1966 Fender. NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!:eek:

If you mess with that 1966 P Bass, I'm going to get on a plane, come to your house, and beat you with an ugly stick.

If that bass is in very good condition, it's worth at least $4-5,000. I'm no collector, so don't take my numbers seriously. But a good resource is www.andysguitars.com. I've been to the store in Tallahassee, FL when I had a meeting or two up there. They seem like nice guys.

I asked them about my cousin's mint white on white Fender J 1968, and they said about $4-5,000 unseen.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the guys here would like to buy it from you. Some day I'd like to get a 1965 P or J. I want a bass the same age as me.