Should I make Schroeder come in france ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Hi all.
    Here is my problem :
    I got to buy a new cabinet, and I am very intrested in Schroeder cabs.. The problem is that for a 1012 cab (649 dollars) I have to pay 332 dollars for UPS shipping.. The total is about 1000 dollars..

For the same price here in France (1000dollars) I can find for example a AMPEG light 2x12', or eden210XLT.. (which are less powerful..)

Should I make Schroeder cab come in france (and have again shipping problems if I need to repair or something..) or buy a cab here, with less power ????
  2. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Personally I'd get the Eden, but I like the way they sound and I've never heard Schroeder's cabs before. No matter how well it's built, there's always the possibility of breakage. I'd hate to spend 2/3 the price just to get it fixed if I had to.
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    or even if you got it and didn't like it, you'd be spend a ton of money just to try it (although you could probably sell it over there pretty easily). :bassist:
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'm at Madrid (Spain) and I have no doubt about it. I'll get two Schroeder 21012 as soon as I save enough cash. I'll spend around 2000€ on them but I know this will be my last cab buy ever! :)

5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I would suggest you chekc out other European options such as Tech Systems or EBS before committing. Tech make some really killer cabinets.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well if it was possible to buy a Schroeder from a shop in France, it could only have got there by being delivered by freight. What's the difference? If the freight cost includes insurance (which it should, but you might want to check), the difference is that damage claims become your responsibility instead of the stores. But the likelyhood of damage is exactly the same.

I'd say the greater danger is buying a cab that you've never heard. I often try speakers based on rave reviews, only to find they don't suit my taste. I'm tempted to get a Schroeder 1210 but there's no way I'll do it without hearing it first. I'd explore the local options in more depth before deciding.
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Very good advice. I have also read glowing reviews of a basses and amps that do not do it for me. Best to try it out first.
  8. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Ampeg and Eden are over-priced in Europe. Ignore them. You have available to you infinitely better cabs at the same price:

EBS as mentioned before and Tech systems, also Hevos and Glockenklang. Some of these may be more expensive still than the Schroeder as that is direct from the manufacturer - forget the cost of shipping as it's still a very competitive price given the current exchange rate. I've imported a whole host of gear and not had a single regret yet, however don't presume you could sell it on easily (unless it were via Talkbass!).

Oh and I've bought about 99% of my gear based upon reviews and (valued) opinions, that's just how it is when your local (or even national) shops are so limited in what they stock. I understand those who won't buy anything sight unseen or heard but I've found the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Put your love spuds on the bbq and let 'em sizzle. :D
  9. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Jorg sent me some week ago a 1210 here in Italy, the cab arrived in 2 days, and it's WONDERFUL...I tested it against Eden, Swr, Mark Bass, Ampeg, and it's by far the best sounding, more powerful of the batch, it can outpower an Ampeg 4x10 easily, at barely half the size-weight...go with it, you won't be disappointed...
  10. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I don't know..
    Here are 600w minimum cabs i found. (I repeat : I want a stand alone cab that cant eat my Ashdown 500evoII 600watts without explosing..)

- Schroeder 1012 - 1000 dollars (shipping included)
    - Ebs 410 - 1300 dollars
    - Glockengang 410 - 1100 dollars
    - Hevos 210 - 1100 dollars
    - Hevos 115 - 1100 dollars

Ampeg are far too expensive, as mesa and eden, ashdown are badsounding, hartke cabs are crap, and I don't like Fender ones..

For me the schroeder is still a nice deal, because it is the most powerful and the smaller..
    What do you think ??
    Which one would you take ??
  11. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Compared to the Ebs, the Schroeder is much more natural sounding, especially in the midrange and highs.
    Glockenklang sounds good, but it's double the size and weight, and a little more sterile (too much hi-fi sounding?), and I've never heard the Hevos.
    Given the amount of people that are willing to buy a Schroeder here in Europe, I think you could easily resell it with little or no loose, if you dislike the cab.
  12. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Don't forget the tax !! 3% for importation + VAT !!!

ANYthing that comes from outside EU is entitled to be charge of the VAT +3% !
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I must say the European brand I'l love to try out are the Tech Soundsystem cabs.