should i make the switch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FeTiS, Sep 25, 2002.

1. ok, heres my dilemma(sp?)...

i currently own a BTB 406, and i like playing 6 string and all, but i was thinking of picking up a decent 4 string(like a J-bass or something), when i stumble upon a beautiful BC Rich Warlock 4 string. now the only problem is, i wont be able to afford the BC Rich without sacrificing the BTB. i think i could probably get a straight trade for it, seeing as my local music store isnt very big, and has never seen the likes of a 6 string, so they should be willing to take it. im kinda leaning toward the 4, seeing as i rarely use the B or C.

so, i'd just like some pro/con input, see what you think is a good idea. thanks for any future advice
  2. toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've never played on a BC Rich that I even remotely liked. I feel that they choose looks in exchange for mediocre tone, but then again, this is only my opinion. I would keep the BTB.
  3. Keep the BTB 6. It happens to be the only Ibanez I'd play. BC Rich aren't bad, but they aren't good either. You'd need to upgrade the electronics to make it sound anywhere near as good as the BTB.

There isn't anything you can do on the BC Rcih that you can't do on the 6 string. If you enjoy a 6, keep it and try utilizing the B and C strings more.

Why not pick up an Essex if you're interested in a decent 4 string for not too much money? They play great out of the box and are very easy to upgrade.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you can get an older BC Rich from when they were making them very well, then it's a pretty good bass.... some of the newer, foreign models really have some issues. A guy a now just picked up a custom BC Rich wave bass from the mid-80's and it is a super cool bass!

5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    no.. don't do it
  6. If your budget is a big concern, you might want to check ebay for a cheaper BC Rich. You can probably get a Beast (a sweet looking bass IMHO) for under $400.