Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i make this trade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 21, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    My Lakland is in the shop until tomorrow, having the jack replaced, so I borrow a friends MIA Jazz Bass for practice tonight. Well I happened to fall in love with the bass while playing it. Perhaps the best Jazz bass I've ever played. Great sound and playability. Before, we had discussed wanting to possibly trade, but I was kinda scared to, as I see this Lakland as my graduation present. On the Memorial Day sale at Guitar Center, I took all my money and purchased a Black Onyx Sterling for a great deal, to try and make some money off of it. Well, after two weeks of unsuccessful selling, I took it to another local shop, and they were willing to offer me $650 for it. A Lakland Skyline 55-01 caught my eye, and after the Sterling and $100 out of my pocket, I walked home with this. I've pretty much seen it as my graduation present to myself. It ended up being my only bass. I'm not used to 5 strings, and mostly prefer 4, so I've been wanting another 4. Does anyone think I should do this trade? Is it right to keep the Lakland for the reason I see it as?

~Patrick

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Ahhhh ............ yes, yes I see. I think many TBrs could attest to having buyers remorse for one reason or another. If at all posible, keep what you have and buy more,.... at least that is what I am trying to do these days. There are a ton of basses that I want, but dont need. If you absolutly hate the fiver, than get rid of it and dont look back. If you can use it,......you know for those guitarist's who like to drop tune, or for the added range than save up for the Fender.

3. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Hold on a second.

Wouldn't that be like paying $750 for a used Fender?

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Or selling a used Lakland 55-01 for $600

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I say if you REALLY like the jazz that much do the trade :D

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
  7. I say do it. If you like it all-around more than the Skyline then there's no question.

8. appler

appler Guest

Can't put a price on great tone... whichever bass feels best and just works for you is the one you should keep.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Never mind how you got to this point, this is what you have -

A "used" Lakland 55-01 for a "used" Fender American Jazz Bass.

You like the Jazz Bass better than the Lakland, and going by list price, the Jazz Bass is worth more money. It seems like this trade would be in your favor...

10. Man, you remind me of me! lol I've been playing right near five months now and I've been through five basses! :scowl: Plus, I was always on the lookout for something new. It sounds like we had the same disease. lol Luckily, I think mine has mutated to what I call Spectoritis. :D

Anyway, I say go for whatever makes you happiest. That Fender does look sweet, and a great Jazz tone is a classic basic. Plus, a sweet Fender seems to be a rarer and rarer find these days. Just an aside, but as set as you seemed to be on the "Ray tone", I'm a bit surprised you gave up your Sterling. I know how it is though, I loved my S.U.B., but gave it up for my Jazz, then a financial emergency made me give up the Jazz for my Spector. By a great stroke of luck, I've never been happier than I am with my Q4.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well now my friend is unsure about the trade. He says he is not used to a 35" scale and the color. I told him they'd grow on him. Now that I'm absolutely sure I want to do this trade. He isn't sure. Any advice you can give me to convince him?

~Patrick

12. that jazz speaks to me. good luck convincing your friend to go for a 55-01.

robb.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Tell him the Lakland is more "exotic" and will make him a better player... :D

For THAT Jazz, I'd definitely trade up a 55-01. It looks pretty nice.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If he's really your "friend" you shouldn't try to "convince" him to trade. It should be a deal you will both be happy with.

Maybe you could suggest a trial swap for a week or two. If you both don't agree on making the trade "for keeps" at the end of the trial period, then trade back...

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    youre a loosing a few things with that trade, a preamp, 2 frets, 1 string, humbuckers.........