Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I mod a 4 string Jazz to a 5 string??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K-Frog, Feb 5, 2003.

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. no

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. no, convert it to a 4 string fretless, cause that might be cool.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Here's the deal fellas:
    I've got a 70s Jazz copy. It's one of those that had a large Fender-style headstock and little soapbar style pickups. The frets on the neck are severely worn and we all know this bass is not worth re-fretting. Also, the neck is only about 2-3/8" wide in the pocket instead of a more standard 2 1/2". So, I'm starting with a bass with an odd neck pocket and an unusable neck. regardless of what I do, I'll likely have to widen the neck pocket even to keep it a 4 string.

I play 5 almost exclusively, I am a competent woodworker, I need another 5, I can probably do it for $150-200, I'm just crazy enough to try it.

Here's what I'm considering:
    1) Buy a 5 string neck and widen the neck pocket.
    2) install a 5 string bridge
    3) install a set of pickups from an MTD Heir( J + MM) that I have laying around.

I'd have to rout for the rear pickup for sure and likely the front as well. At some point in this bass' life someone did elongate the routes to accomodate regular Jazz pickups. I've got some really odd looking pickup routes, but the front is covered by a standard jazz pickguard.

It's a near junker, but it's sunburst with a tort. pickguard, which is one of my favorites.

Should I do it?

K

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Give it a shot. It might prove interesting.

3. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Go for it!

4. I'd say go for it. Sounds like you've already made up your mind and you just need a little nudge. Besides, if you pretty much play 5's exclusively, do you think you'd play a fretless 4? I also think it'd look sweet with those mods you mentioned.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it, and post some pics of the process!

5. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA

I've considered a fretless before, but I don't know how much use it would get.

Seems like J + MM is the choice lately anyway and you don't see that too often in a traditional Jazz shape. I think...