Should I mod my P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebass!, Jul 6, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Like so many others have done in the past, I'm thinking of adding a bridge pickup to my P-bass to make it cut through live better. It's a great-sounding P - good feel too and the sunburst finish is beautiful so I'd have a tought time having it cut into. Yet I can't get a good sound out of it live. Any suggestions? Luthiers who do quality work of this sort? Electronics? I'm into passive basses so I'm thinking a seymour duncan and another volume knob would do it for me but am open to suggestions.
  2. Ragubir9

Jul 6, 2004
    I feel that in your question, there is a desire, and when a player has a desire, often it manifests into "a desire" for good sound. I think, if you feel your P needs that mod, you should do it. Unless you own that P bass for collection value, then you shouldn't. But if it is your axe man, do it. Anything that makes your sound improve is good...A player's axe is a player's axe.
    Just make sure you find a qualified Luthier. I wouldn't know of one because I suspect we are hundreds of miles apart...
    Electronics seem to be good with the Duncan's... they certainly add brilliance to passive tone....
    Good Luck bro...
  3. What year is your P-bass? Is it an old one?

Once you mod it you can't go back. The mods may be worth it to you, but don't do it thinking you'll get the money back if you ever want to sell the bass.

My suggestion? Check out a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass, or MIM P-bass special. They both have the P/J set up. If you like how it sounds, buy one of them, or then consider doing the mods to your present bass.

I would buy a second bass if it's at all possible, then you'll always have your baby.

Just my $.02

Good luck.

4. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks for the votes of confidence. It's a 1997 which I think was a very good year. I've owned about 5 different Ps over the years and this is the best. The best I've played except for a '65 that was really sweet. I also have a 1997 jazz which is my main gigging axe. Although I just got the jazz recently (from SMASH) the two are like brother and sister. The P is prettier, sweeter sounding and the lighter of the two. The jazz has Antiquity IIs for beef and is more versatile. I like them both a lot.

Anyone have experience with moding a P? I'm wondering if a single coil bridge pu would be humfree with the P pickup or would I have to get a humbucker?