Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i open her up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 20, 2001.

1. I just moved all my gear from my ex-practice space and when I got it home I noticed a huge problem. I had to unplug the power cable running into the Gallien Krueger amp to move it. I just noticed that the casing is now all cracked and the part you plug the plug into is pushed way in. I cannot plug my amp in anymore and therefor cannot use it. Should I crack her open and attemp to fix it myself (it really doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem) or should I wait and bring it to a professional tech and somewhere like guitar center... (what would that cost anyway)?

2. if you send it to a place they usally charge you by how long it takes to fix plus the cost of new parts you may need but nnot much probably like $20 maybe!! depending on where you take it!! i just had my amp head fixed and it had alot more wrong and it only cost me $45!!

3. If your warranty is still valid, don't open it up. If not, why not take a peek and see if you can repair it yourself? There's no amp in the world that can be damaged by taking the cover off!

What harm could it do?

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Go in if you know what your doing.If not you could cause a worse problem then their already is.

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Obligatory Safety Precaution required. When you open an amp chassis, you must be very careful, ESPECIALLY when working in the power supply area. If you decide to do so, be particularly vigilant about making sure it is unplugged and avoid the PS filter capacitors. Depending on the design, if they are charged, they may be capable of killing you. You have to work so that you do not come in electrical contact with them - or else you must discharge them first. When you do power wiring, you really have to make sure it's done right and that there is no chance of a wiring mistake. I usually double check my wiring with an ohmmeter, then voltmeter, before closing it up. I don't mean to scare you, but a little fear should always accompany work on things that can injure or kill you. If you are uncomfortable about this, have a tech. repair it instead.
    - Mike