1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I or Shouldn't I - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eggman, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a 1963 Fender Jazz. Over 20 years ago, it was knocked over and a small piece of the fretboard got chipped. I had it professionally repaired - you can hardly see where it was. At the same time - I had the frets ground off - leaving the fret-tang in the fretboard - leaving it a "lined" fretless. A wonderfull bass. Your input to the following questions would be aprreciated:

1. Should I refret this bass or leave it fretless?
    (I play fretted basses most of the time and have other fretted and fretless jazz style basses - Lakland Skyline JOs and a Sadowsky MV4)

2. Should I take this bass to rehearsals and gigs - or leave it at home - thereby reducing the risk of damage or theft?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Are you a collector or a player?

If you are a collector, leave it like it is... hang it on the wall and fool with it occasionally.

If you are a player, live life... fixer up the way you prefer and take that gal out for a night on the town. Sure there is risk, but everything has some risk associated with it. Judge situations where the risk might be to high and leave it at home that night.

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Here are my thoughts:

First of all ... LUCKY!!! Let's see a picture!

Also, it may be difficult to remove the existing frets in order to install new ones. I'm sure it could be done but you risk either spending alot of money, damaging the fingerboard or both.

As for the question should you gig with it?
    Do you consider it to be irreplaceable?
    I have a nice bass that I play out with but the guy who built it is young and healthy. :) Though I hope I never need to, I could probably replace it.
    My grandfathers 1930's Gibson mandolin, on the other hand, will rarely, if ever, leave my house. That's the difference between an heirloom and an instrument.

Best of luck,

Chad