1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I or Shouldn't I? (Lakland Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I confess, that despite many loud howls to the contrary, I am a big fan of clear pickguards. I like how they add a little touch of adornment to a bass without upsetting the total aesthetic.

This is my modded 55-01 (Nordstrand Big Splits/Sadowsky pre) with the clear pickguard I got for it a while back. I happen to like the look but I have been gun-shy about actually drilling the holes and permanantly mounting it.

I dig the look but I am worried about how it might affect my ability to sell the bass if I decide to do so in the future. This would be an easier decision if this were a Deluxe model with a fancy top -- I definitely wouldn't want to mar it. OTOH, since it's a plain-jane 3TS, I think the pickguard adds just a little taste of distinctiveness.

What do you guys think I should do -- drill the holes and mount it or ditch the pickguard? :meh:

[​IMG]

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I say go for it... Why have a bass that looks like everything else?? And besides, you have added the Nordstrand pickups which will add more to the value than the pickguard will take away.

I don't understand the "it's got to be pristine" mentality in the used market...I mean...it's USED, it should look used.

Make this bass your own and don't worry that someone may not like the pickguard should you decide to sell it, there will be someone like me who thinks the look is great!

GO FOR IT!!!

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Ditch the pickguard.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't think it adds anything.

5. evhest

evhest

Jun 10, 2006
    That's a great looking bass... without the pickguard.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ditch the guard. If you are concerned about scratches, there are clear veneer things that can protect it.

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Don't like the guard. I would mind it less if it were black...don't dig the clear.

8. drill away, it looks cool:)

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    LOVE the clear guard.

10. A.J. Miller

A.J. Miller

Jun 9, 2006
    Montana
    It's clear, hence pointless. Don't spray paint a rose.

11. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    If you like how it looks then do it, don't listen to these people trying to bring down how it looks when you already said you like it.

I can't speak for every1 but I think its cool and even if You took the pick guard off later, I kind of like the "random screw hole" look anyways lol

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Do it! Looks awesome.

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Do it.....................................................................I did!

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ditch it. Seriously.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's your bass, and it's not stock anyway, so do it!

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If scratching is a problem and you like it, do it. It looks a little close to the edge near that knob. If you want other remedies for scratch relief, that would be a good topic for a thread. A friend of mine has been using low gloss packing tape on the top of one of his oil finished exotic topped basses and is very happy with it. very easy to replace once it gets worn (instead of his bass).

As far as resale value, it's a modded 55-01. I don't that will be a big issue for maybe 20-30 years. To explain,since someone might take that the wrong way, that's about how long it takes for Fenders to become collectible.
    :cool:

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    He did ask for opinions... just sayin'.

:smug:

18. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    If you're that concerned about drilling, have a guard made with no holes and use clear double-sided tape. To help keep said tape from being so visible, cut it with sharp scissors (rather than the serrated blade that tape dipensers have), and use a needle to get all the air bubbles out.

Frankly, it's your bass, and the bolded parts suggest you're leaning towards drilling, so drill. In fact, I'd put a tort guard on that puppy.

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I think that'd be my choice as well.

The clear does look bangin' mind you.

I think 3TS basses look really goofy without a pickguard, regardless of manufacturer. I'd be more likely to buy this one with a guard than without. If it was a different color it might be a different story depending on the color combo.

20. I dig the guard, but not the colour. Tort or parchment would be my vote.