Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by acexxxoasis, Jun 28, 2005.

1. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    hey there guys I just went to my local music store and there is an all tube peavey alphabass stack for $350 used needs new tubes but sounds sooo sweet the head has 6 6l6s and 3-5 12ax7s I didnt count those. the cabinet has 2 8"s an 1 15" in it and they amp sounded soo nice but she was quiet. $350 is a very small investment in the tube world from what ive noticed but the tone was really good for me. but I dont have 350 laying around... should I or shouldn't I?

harmony central reviews http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Peavey/Alpha_Bass-01.html

2. I say go for it if you like it man... I bought a vintage 70's vox head for £250, which was (and still is) knackered.. - 350 dollars sounds like its well worth its money to me...

3. Price new tubes and check Ebay for a quick price check, make sure its worth putting the new power tubes in if you're sure they need replacement.

Also factor in cost of re-biasing the amp with the new tubes, no sense burning out the new ones or not getting their full potential.

Randy

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    heck if you dont buy it i bet james hart would. ;)

5. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    james hart? is he a member on here? if he is I could work something out with him to get it shipped to him.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eyebrow:

Thanks but I'm set with my Classic 400.

$350 is what I paid for mine without tubes (seller kept them for another head) and flight case delivered (would have been $100 but luck found him having to come down to Jersey to pick up a bike)...

Anyway... If it sounds sweet, why do you say it needs tubes?

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Will they sell you just the head? I think that cab is the 1516 (or something like that). It is an okay, but not killer, bass cab (I preferred its big brother, the 1820), and isn't necessarily part of the "Alpha Bass Stack." Unless, of course, they did make a version of this cab specifically to go with the Alpha Bass head (and perhaps they did).

I don't know anything about the head itself, but it sounds intriguing enough to check out - especially if they will sellyou the head only for a good price.

Tom.

Tom.

8. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    it needs a retube it was made in mid-late 80s early 90s used weekly for a big band and never has had a retube. 10 years is a good time to change tubes so ive heard....

EDIT:
    the specs
    [​IMG]

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IIRC, the Alphabass was based upon another design (aka a sorta-ripoff, but for much lower price) - maybe it was Mesa D-180? :confused:
    Do a search and you'll find it.
    But before, go and buy it.For $350, man, what the heck are you still waiting here? :rollno:

10. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I decided to get it I put a down payment on the amp. ill try to get recordings or something if I can... that is if my computer will stay on...

11. Just 'cause it's 10 years old doesn't automatically means it needs new tubes. The only people who will tell you to change the tubes, are the people who want to sell you tubes!!

This "must change tubes regularly" is a myth. I wouldn't change the tubes myself, if there isn't a problem with them.

12. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    well we shall see when it gets home lol but it seemed ALOT quieter then it should of been

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  14. Remember though, it is "only" 150 watts. And therefore, efficient speaker cabs, plus proper EQ, makes a huge difference in how "loud" it sounds.