1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tzetze, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Okay, after saving up all my pennies for what seemed like an age, tomorrow I'm going to order this.

The specs of the NTB version are pretty much the same as this one.

Now, I'm not really very well versed on the qualities of various components used these days. So, this is my opportunity to let some of you more clued in peeps stop me in my tracks before I make a costly mistake.

Apparently, if I'm not happy I can return the bass within 14 days yadda yadda, so it's not that big of a deal if it plays like a large coffee tin, broom handle and piece of string.

What do you think? A good deal, yay or nay?

2. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Well, I don't know anything about it so I can't help there, and I don't know a Euro from a rupee . . . but it's an awfully nice-looking bass. ;)

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Anybody know the conversion ratio for Euros to Dollars?
    That would be helpful. I have seen this advertised before. It looks like a nice bass. Seems to have some decent components. Also the 14 day money back thing doesn't sound to bad.

4. I believe that a US Dollar and a Euro are very approximately equivalent!

As to the bass in question - looks like it's modelled on the Warwick line. The mix of woods, and the MEC are common on some of the Warwick models, other than that I can't tell you much.

I am not a fan of Warwicks, and haven't found one that I liked when I played it - although this alone should not put you off!

Have you played this instrument??? At least you have 14 days to try it. However, are you responsible for the shipping costs if you return it?? Could be an expensive way to 'try out' a bass. Just a thought:)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I personally, wouldn't lay out that kind of money on an "unknown quantity" without trying it first.

The advertising "blurb" is total rubbish and tells you nothing "concrete" about the bass.

You say you can return it - but how would you do this - do you know how much it would cost - whether any carrier would accept something like that through the post?

Having worked on a Post Office Counter in the dim and distant past, I would have told you "No Way" if you had brought something in as big and heavy as a bass for posting!! It would have gone off our charts! ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Posting at the same time - yeah it looks like a Warwick copy!! Given their thick (for me unplayable) necks - I would say it is something you have try.

Also 14 days is not a long time in shipping terms - you might struggle to get a carrier who would take it back in 14 days!! ;)

As they say in Yorkshire :

You never get ought for nought!!

Or was that owt for nowt? :D

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    DONT!
    I have had experience of a "Fame" bass.
    They aren't bad but again they aren't what I would call good either!
    For the price I would have thought you could get something of a "known" quantity - maybe a lower end Warwick?
    You may well be able to "return" it - but it'll likely as not cost you a fortune!
    :eek:

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    They look a lot like the Be model from Mayones. (There is a thread on them here.) Considering that Mayones has a cheaper line called Flame, maybe they're the same?

9. Well, after weighing up and considering all the above advice, I threw it out the window and went ahead and ordered it! :D

It took about 10 days to arrive, which wasn't too bad a wait.

It was well packaged and arrived in pristine condition. I've examined it very closely and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The build quality on this bass is second to none, and there really is nothing that I can fault it over. The tone it produces really is delightful. I don't have any experience playing a high end bass, but this really seems to me like a superior instrument. (Although practically anything would be superior to my old bass!)

It must have had a set-up before being shipped out to me. The action was set fairly low, and feels very comfortable. The intonation needed slight adjustment but that was all. (Do temperature changes affect intonation? I'm guessing, yes.) I tried every fret, dreading the sound of any buzzing, but after getting through them all, not one buzz did I encounter. (Til I sparked up my J! ;) )

The neck did feel quite wide at first, but already am used to the difference. The g-string seems to be closer to the edge of the neck than I am used to, as I am slipping off while fretting that string occasionally, but already this is happening less and less and will stop altogether with practice.

A friend asked me how does it play, and the only way I could describe it was like spreading warm butter on fresh bread. Opposed to the cold butter on fresh bread feel of my old bass. It feels so smooth to play, I just love playing it!!

I have no regrets whatever about buying this instrument unseen, and would recommend anyone else to do the same.

I took some pics, but they are on my desktop at home. Will xfer them to my laptop and post from work next weekend.

Oh, by the way, I think pilotjones is right about them being made by "Mayones" (sp?). The paper catalog shows some of the Fame basses as having the same "M" logo on the headstock that appears on the Mayones on the site he linked to. My bass however just has "Fame" on the headstock. It's slightly cheesy, yes, but it's still a great bass for the money!

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm glad everything worked out.
    Enjoy your new bass.

And, I'm glad we could all help.