1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I order a Nordy vj4 or a Zon Sonus 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheSnowdon, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TheSnowdon

TheSnowdon

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi all,
    I'm either going to order a Nordy vj4 or a Zon Sonus 4, but I need a bit of help deciding. I play predominantly jazz/fusion, rock and solo stuff, so which would be more suited? I haven't been able to try a Nordy but I did try a Zon Vinny... I don't know many people or shops who carry these basses in Australia. So, obviously, if you've tried both or owned both, I'd really like your opinion. Also, an estimated wait period for either would be great (estimated, I understand it changes depending on how many orders they're tackling). Thanks guys!

2. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    I have one of each! Just fly over to California and try them out at my house!

It's always hard to choose between them. Each one has a fantastic feel, fantastic tone. The Zon seems a little more mid-range punchy and high end zingy, and the Nordy more deep and warm. But with the tone controls each one can morph into the other's tone space.

Both are great for jazz, but for jazz playing I've been using my Rob Allen MB2 for a more conventional upright-ish sound. I get a lot of "whoa that thing sounds like an upright", followed by "whoa that sounds fantastic". Then they just forget it is not an upright.

Back to Nordy and Zon though, I have no idea what the current build time is but there are threads here on both instruments, and you can get a better idea there.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nordy-club-part-xi-800961/

Official Zon Club Part 3 - TalkBass Forums

3. TheSnowdon

TheSnowdon

Jan 23, 2012
    Ok, cool! Would you say the Zon has a fast neck (that's important for me, personally, I sort of need one as I have small hands)?

4. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    My $0.02's..... They are both great, have great necks and sound really good. It would come down to personal preference. As far as necks are concerned I believe Carey would be more accommodating as he shapes them himself.

Delivery times would have been hands down to Carey but with his new business model I think he has posted delivery times are about a year. You would have to check with him.

Customer service though.....hands down and twice on Sunday the winner would be Carey! :)

5. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I can't comment on Zon, but have a Nordy and I can't praise it enough. It has vintage spec'ed MM Stingray electronics, not J-type. The instrument is fabulous, as is the customer service. I asked for a custom paint job, custom electronics and it had to be 8 lbs. It came in at 7.98.
    The build time when I ordered mine was 4-5 months, but due to a change in Carey [Nordstrand] his business model and philosophy, build time has increased quite a bit, although I don't know how much. Shoot Adrian an e-mail and he'll be happy to respond.

As for the genres you're describing, I recommend a J-type instrument, but with switchable active/passive electronics (à la Sadowsky, but Nordstrand can do this as well)
    Also, something more modern, like a Sadowsky M4/5-24 or Ken Smith or ..., will cut through like crazy and serve your needs quite well.

If you can't test them, search YouTube and listen to the basses you're interested in with a good pair of cans or studio monitors.

6. TheSnowdon

TheSnowdon

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for the help. Since Zon wait times and customer service aren't exactly stellar, I might go with a Sadowsky. Or maybe a Valenti, I'll check them both out.

7. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Buy the Zon, decide that you don't like it, and sell it to me for $1000.:bag:

8. TheSnowdon

TheSnowdon

Jan 23, 2012
    Haha, I'll see how I go!