Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i overpower my ampeg 4-10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by product 14, Jan 18, 2003.

1. I am going to buy a new amp. Should i get one with a higher power rating than my ampeg 4-10 classic cab?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    no, you should buy the lowest wattage possible

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Which cab is it, the SVT-410HLF or the SVT-410HE? It's safe to overpower them a bit, some say it's even fine to use an amp that puts out ~1.5 times the power rating of the cab. Personally, I'd try to stay around the power rating, but try not to get an amp that would struggle to power your speaker cabinet (ie if your cab can take 400w RMS, don't use an amp that puts out 100w, etc.)

Then again, I'm not exactly the most experienced on this subject, but I'm beginning to understand some of it. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will come around and explain it correctly :)

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Yes IMO. Remember if you have a 600 watt head that doesnt mean it is putting out 600 watts the second you turn it on. It all about the volume knob. But I beleive its better to have to much power than not enough.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You should not over power any cab

The more effortleslly a amp can push a cab to its max the better it will sound and the safer the cab will be beause the amp can control it better.

If you have 600 watt cab and a 600 watt amp you have to push the amp as hard as it will go to fully power the cab right?

same cab 1000 watt amp its working at 6/10 of its max to achive the same thing it will have a better chance at contolling the speaker at maximum travel.

Then theres Spikes of power needed for really quick hard attack low notes that eat LOTS of power you cab will handle these spikes but will your amp? The amp getting over work at these moments has a greater chance of damaging the cab thana amp thats running cooler.

People who have these huge power amps are not "over powering thier speakers" they just have a amp that will do the job with less strain on the amp.

AJ