Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I Pass Up A Great Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Another quandry for a fickle bassist to navigate. I just got an Ibanez RD505, a nice mid priced bass with Duncan designed SC/H pups and a good control layout to backup my 55-02. So far, so good. It's a great bass for the money. The catch is that a local dealer has Stingrays and Bongos on sale dirt cheap. Had I known it, I would have snagged a SC/H Bongo or maybe a SR5. I could still do it, but I feel pretty wasteful, especially since the Ibanez is truly a nice backup. Heck, I would use it for main bass frankly. That said, I'm a sucker for SR5s, and that SC/H Bongo kicks out some power like no other bass, even two pup SR5s don't put out like Bongos (I know, it's that 18v power supply.)

This is the usual. What would any of you guys do?

2. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If you can afford it, get what you really want, especially if you're getting a good deal on it.

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, I don't play any of those basses and don't know too much about them. However I did play a bongo at the NAMM show and was quite impressed.

I say buy more basses. Chicks dig guys with lots of basses. :hyper:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think do it you should be mature do it, and ask yourself do it if you really need it.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    If you can swing it, buy either the Bongo or the Stingray and use the 55-02 to back it up! Sell the Ibanez, knowing that you are "improving" your basses, not just adding more.
    This way of thinking gets expensive though.:D

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Good deals are always tempting if you've got the cash...If you're going to pass it up, pass it along. ;)

Marshall

7. We bass players are an amazing species, with the aptitude and willingness to go to any legnth to tell ourselves that we "need" that bass. So, I say just give in and do it, because you're going to spend the next couple days telling yourself how "it'll be an investment." "It'll play better" "it's really more practical... in case I want to sell/trade it" "I should prob. get it becase of ________"

(do it)

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Pass on it. Check the Rufus Philpot thread.

9. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Exactly what I was going to say. I'm assuming we'll have a new "Look at my new Bongo" thread in a couple days.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EBMM basses are where it is at.

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Do what you like. Even it doesnt break you, who cares. Enjoy

Rob

12. I'd take that deal and sell your Ibanez.
    You'll get a better bass and you'll be saving money in the end.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you don't spend the money on the bass, you will probably end up spending it on loose women and booze.

Don't put your loved ones through that. Buy the bass.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Alright! I apologized to the little lady. Can we PLEASE move on?!

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Tell me how one moves on from heartbreak and I will, man-floozy. :mad:

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    'Duck, there's a cleaning bill in your future. Someone's gotta pay to get the beer cleaned off of my laptop screen.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll pay for the screen, but the sticky keys were your own doing. :D

18. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    Id go for the Bongos. Cause Im...

I play a Bongo and I dont see where I could ever see one and not want it ever again.

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sounds like you are enjoying both your main bass and your back up bass. Question is would you prefer the Bongo or Sterling over your Lakland?

I say if it aint broke don't fix it. I have sold too many basses to help fund 'something better', only to regret it later on. On the other hand if you have mountains of cash to burn buy one of each!.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I have to admit that the Rufus Philpot thread was one of the things that convinced me to get the bass in the first place. In some ways, the Ibanez is more versatile than the Bongo (it has coil splitting capability). The Bongo, however, has a better eq. The fit and finish is much closer than one might think, but I suspect the Bongo has superior hardware and electronics. It's interesting, both basses are basswood, but the Bongo has more resonant slap tone. The Ibanez makes more sense, I want the the Bongo!