Should I pick up a DeArmond Pilot V for 125 bucks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Apr 17, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    That is a fairly low price, but it has taken a beating in its day. There is an impact mark on the body where it was hit hard enough to crack the finish and dent the wood (Ash, so fairly hard wood).
    The battery cavity has the screws stripped, so that will take a good amount of work to fix. The neck is very solid and feels very good, I am just a little worried about the problems. As cheap as 125 sounds, given that they go in just fine condition for about that it seems pretty steep. I feel kind of like an ass for walking in and offering them 75 bucks for it though, even if that might be what it is worth. If nothing else, I can use the neck for a project, and sand down the area of the impact mark.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Offer 100. It would be worth 125 to me, but if you don't want to pay that, then offer the 100. It would be worth messing with it.
  3. keith phelps

keith phelps

Sep 25, 2002
    I have a Dearmond Pilot Pro 5 that I rarely use. I would sell it if you are interested. It is in nearly new condition.
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    If it is for 125, I'll take it!
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Musicians Friend had a blowout on those basses for about $99 a couple of years ago. I know because I ordered one and a month later they told me they had sold out. I was bummed. I believe you can find them cheaper elsewhere, and I don't believe it would be worth $125 in the condition you say - unless of course you played it and fell in love - in which case $125 is a few meals out.
  6. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Yeah, I bought one of the 4 stringers for my girlfriend at the time, and it was a great bass. I am going to go in and offer them like 75 dollars or something. They really were well made basses, just a little ugly.
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The stripped screws are a pretty easy fix. You can use toothpicks and wood glue to fill the hole (give the screws something to catch on.) I have also used JB Weld. You will need a toothpick to poke the air bubbles out.