Should I pick up a SWR Henry the 8x8 for 250 bucks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tekhna, May 6, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Evidently the horn is blown, and it is somewhat scuffed up. The blown horn seems like it would be fairly easy to replace. I am just worried that it has been abused if the horn is blown-But I suppoe it does happen randomly. I am currently using an Avatar 2x12 with a Trace AH250SMX. Do you guys think the 8x8 will be any better than the Avatar? I have heard great things.
  2. I'm not sure. Give me the address and let me check it out for you........................... :bag:
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Rev Groove and Turlu are waxing eloquent about the new Yorkville 8x8, maybe some magic there...
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The tweeter thing should be easy to fix and is not necessarily indicative of other damage. I'd say jump on it, especially if it's local. Those things are a bear to move around, but they sound decent and that's a good price for it.
  5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    As msquared said, they are a bear to move around. I loved mine, just a pain to haul.
    I thought it sounded great. And the tweeter problem is like a $25 fix. As long as the crossover is cool, those tweeters (piezo I believe) are pretty cheap $$ wise.
  6. A great standalone 8x8 for $250?Jump on it.Henrys are great and those Leson tweeters are pretty cheap from SWR.As long as the 8's sound good it's a steal.
  7. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I'm just worried about the size-It is going to stay in one spot for the most part. I wonder if I can even fit it in the back of my Camry. Do these things handle 5 strings fairly well?
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Have you looked at SWR's site for specs? The -6db down point is at 35Hz. With 8" drivers. You will have absolutely no problems with a B through this thing.

I once played drums in a loud blues band whose bassist used an Acme B2. One night he couldn't make it and his sub brought a Henry to the gig. It was like night and day. I couldn't believe he brought such a monster cab to the gig but the sound was really amazing. The B2 was no slouch but this thing was tie-your-liver-in-a-knot deep and punchy. That and the Bergantino NV610 are the only big cabinets I've ever thought were worth owning.

And yes, it'll fit in your Camry. No, it won't be easy.
  9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
  10. I played on one once and was extremely surprised by its tone. I didn't anticipate 8's to bump like it did. cabinet that sounds like that for $250 is a great item.
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I used to use one. It is a great full range cab, but it is somewhat inefficent. But these usually go used for around $500, 2X what you are going to pay for it. The horn is an easy fix, just get a new one from SWR.
  12. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I used to have a Henry and I kick myself alot for getting rid of it. Those 8's can produce some of the best low's ever. I'd definately get it...the horn is an easy fix.
  13. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Personaly, I think the 8x8 is easier to move than a 410. I had a trace head matched with the 8x8 and I play a 5 string. Plenty of volume and sounds great. I say go for it.
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    better than the avatar 2x12? i dunno, never heard one.

that price is pretty decent as long as its just the tweety and not the crossover. also check out the eights when a good amount of volume is applied to 'em.

the henry is one of my favorite "weird" cabs. it has amazing apparent low end due to the porting (the hank jr does not as the porting is different). it can be a bit mid shy, but not excessively so. also its sort of light for its size as those eights dont have gigantic magnets.

for that much, yeah, i'd get one.
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played a gig once with a Henry and a Bass 350, and it blew my SM-400S + Peavey 410TX out of the water on tone and especially volume and how it sat in the mix. GREAT cabs. I was never *quite* loud enough with my 410 setup, and I ran that 350 about 40% of the way up and was cranking.

I believe the marketing on that cab was alternately: "if you want to cut through at high stage levels, get the henry" ... or "classic tone without the weight" meaning that it could replace an ampeg 8x10.
  16. Is this a trick question?
  17. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Since I went to the route of 8" speakers, it`s hard to believe I played with 15" for such a long time !!!!!
    The 8" speakers offer so much punch and clarity !!!!

I think both SWR and Yorkville 8X8 are really good and both have lots to offer.

Apr 23, 2005
    hey, if you dont get it, send the info my way, i am in need of an 8x8! id get it tho if i was yu.
  19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I frequently detuned to D and the Cab really shines !!! Never tried with a B string but heard they handle them very well.
  20. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I would bet that the tweeter isn't actually blown. These cabs have one of those light-bulb tweeter protection-thingies--which will blow the light bulb before it blows the tweeter. It so, it would be a $3 fix.