1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

should i play with these losers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by McHaven, Mar 31, 2006.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So, I've been on the lookout for new bands. I jammed tonight with a couple of guys, all old than me(im only 16, they were 21-27). They were all pretty good, they've got some nice gear and they're generally nice guys. But the drummer is an alcoholic(he wanted me to drive him to the store to get some Jager), his house is covered in cigarette butts and beer bottles and I'm pretty damn sure while he and the singer were "talking business" in the backyard, they were smoking weed.

They play music I like, and they're talented and I think there are some shows coming up. The whole drinking/smoking thing isn't my scene at all. But if I enjoy the music, should I continue to play with them?

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'd say try it out, and if the drink/smoke thing becomes an issue, bail.

3. Get as far away from those guy's as you can get. Drunk musicians smokin' weed. All you need is to be at practice one night and someone calls the police about the noise. They smell weed and guess what? Now you're in trouble. Not worth the risk just to play a few tunes. Those guy's are old enough to choose how they want to live the rest of their life. Don't let them, or anyone else drag you down in the gutter with them. You sound like you already know what you need to do anyway. Good luck.

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Musicians? Smoking weed?? RUN!!

:bag:

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Worst ... advice ... ever.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Seeing as you already consider them as "loosers", i would say pass on these guy's and find something else.

7. You seem to have a low opinion of them already, based on the thread title, so stay far away.

8. No.

Bands are also about personal relationships, you guys need to hang out and have fun together for anything to work. If their idea of a good time is smoking and drinking, you would either a) get drug down with them, or b) ditch them, and never hanging out thus never forming relationships with these people you play with. There are plenty of musicians out there.

9. "Drug" is not the past tense of "drag" but, in the circumstances, eerily appropriate IMHO :D :D :D :D

10. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    On a sidenote, lets not forget all the geatest artists took drugs frequently, and it sure didnt stop them from making the best possible music. If the guys are nice, and dont overdo it, I think I would go for it. You're under 18 though, so it might be a problem for you.

11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Why do you consider them to be losers? Is it because the drummes house is a mess? Or is it because he also drinks and you suspect the others of smoking weed?
    Although alcohol and drugs can be huge problems for many, Plenty of people have a drink now and again and plenty smoke weed from time to time, without adverse effects.
    Do they manage to hold down jobs, have proper relationships, have their own places, drive... ?
    it sounds like these people aren't really your crowd, but I wouldn't be quite so hasty to dismiss them as losers.

12. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hey you cant get busted for being with somone who smokes..what the hell its rock and roll and these guys could probably teach you a thing or two on the music front. To be honest a bit of weed and a beer is hardly what i would call pushing it...just be firm about not indulging yourself if you dont want to....

watch nearly famous..."what am i to you!!!!":hyper:

13. yeah...see yow it pans out

14. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1.

Get far aways from these guys it's only a matter of time before you get caught up in one of their messes.

15. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    you will always be judged by the people you hang with. this may not be fair but it is true. if there are shows in the future, when you take the stage together, remember, you do it together as a team. whom ever sees you play sees you as 1 band. not three pot heads and the innocent one. being clean does not make you better than them. being a pot head doesn't make them bad, it just makes them stupid. with me it would also make them musicians seeking work elsewhere. why? it is not possible to act and play at the level i expect and be high at the same time. pot and drugs have never been a part of my life. and now i also have to set the example for my 11 year old son. so my point of view comes from the standpoint of being a parent. peace, jeff

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, Everyone knows that the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and Elvis were such unprofessional losers.

17. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I'm not defending self-medication, but if you're going to exclude working with those who do, as a musician...well, you're going to limit yourself pretty dramatically, and I might even go so far as to say that you may limit yourself to some pretty bland people to play with altogether.

Performers are often people in pain. It's that pain that somehow resonates with people, and makes them appear brilliant. If everything was just ducky in their lives, they'd probably be working "normal" jobs.

Musicians are some pretty F@#$ed up folk, but they're a hell of a lot more fun than the most of the guys who occupy cubicles at say, "Initech".

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This could have easily been my post when I was 16. I joined. A year later I was doing the same stuff as them. About 6 years after that I was a complete basket case. Fortunately I found a way out of that lifestyle. They weren't as fortunate but no need to go into that. It seems as though alcohol and drugs are already a priority for the guys you jammed with. If that's the case, it's only gonna get worse, and trust me - they'll drag you down before you can lift them up. I guarantee it. I'd move on if I were you.

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Actually, yeah, you can get busted. If he is present while they are tokin', and the cops show up, he'll go to jail, too. I doubt they'd hold him if he could prove he wasn't toking, but he'd still get booked and would have to appear in juvie court. And the adults would get into quite a bit of trouble.

However...if he were 18...I'd say its probably not too bad, and go for it. I have messy bandmates who dig Jaeger, and we hold, um, "safety meetings" too. ;-)

But we're all adults. 16...he's a minor. Might not be worth the trouble, you know?

Cherie

20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Either my sarcastic post went right over your head or you are directing your post to the wrong person. We agree, particularly on your last sentence.