Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I plug my new MM Sterling into active or passive input?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimothy_86, Apr 23, 2004.

1. ello ello

Won an Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling in trans-blue/perloid pickguard/maple neck on Ebay.co.uk the other day which I'm very happy about and should be a nice upgrade over my Yamaha BB604.

Just wondering if I should plug it into active or passive on my Trace Elliot combo? I understand it has an active preamp-does this mean the eq is active or the pickup is? What should I plug into?

Soz if its a bit newbie-ish but I really aint gotta clue!!

all the best

Jim

2. I believe just the eq is active, but has a passive pup.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Circus is correct, 3 band active EQ with a passive humbucker BUT you should plug it into the active input (-15dB) so as to avoid clipping. Then adjust the volume on the head as necessary. These Sterlings have VERY high output and will clip like mad if you let them so just plug it into the active one and you'll be right as rain. Congrats man, you will LOVE your Sterling they're amazing.

4. Cheers people. So does the active input just lower the output to avoid excess noise?

Jim

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yep

6. It lowers the input gain, which also reduces the output level. This avoids clipping (ugly distortion). It's nice to avoid clipping.