1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundwavelove, Aug 13, 2007.

1. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin
    With my $1000 GC card limit, this is the best pedal board setup I could think of for the sounds I want. I just looking for a blessing from you more experienced pedal geeks, and I'm interested in hearing any alternative ideas you may have in case there is something I'm overlooking:

Core Pedal Board Diamond Plate Large
    BBE Opto Stomp
    POG Polyphonic Octave Generator
    Pigtronix EP-1 Envelope Phaser
    Akai E2 Headrush

Comes to just under $1000. I'll have to buy my dunlop brick in store with cash.

I plan to add a fuzz and ring mod, and bit crusher later on when I have more cash.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the pedals look alright, but i would get a different board or not get one and save up for a pedatrain.

3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    +1...nice pedal selection...but I don't care for that board at all...

4. Nice pedals.
    If you continue this way you'll have a laaarge board!
    :)

5. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    +1...save your money on the pedalboard for a better one, or build your own.

6. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin
    Oh does that pedal board suck for some reason?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I would ditch the Headrush. There are much better loopers available. Alternately you could get a nice overdrive pedal like a Fulltone or an English Muffn.

8. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    At the moment, I'd have no need for the headrush and I think of the POG as more of a toy than a tool. YMMV?

That board looks alright, but you're going to upgrade it before long.

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Just so you're aware, soundwavelove... the POG runs on its own 24V adapter. You'll need either room for a power strip, or a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 (so you won't need an adapter).

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    POG is 18V.

11. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin

What better loopers?

If I get an OD i'd probably get the copperhead because it can be a boost and an OD.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Digitech Jamman is much more versatile than the HR or even the Boss and Boomerang loopers.

Copperhead... Tone Factor huh? I'm not too sold on them They just make clones of proven designs and then charge you more $$$ for it. They want you to stay stuck in the 60s and 70s. So much for pushing the envelope.

13. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin
    I like that your discriminating, but I'd like it more if you offered alternative suggestions. Is there really much envelope to push in the OD department?

The jam man doesn't have delay, does it? Is it a good live pedal? I have no need to save loops, i certainly don't need to pay for 6 hours of looping time. I just need to be able to make them on the fly and have good real time control.

14. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    You have an excellent point with ODs. Of course, the important thing to realize is with ODs you're going to be looking for a very specific sound in an ENORMOUS market, so don't be surprised if the copperhead isn't what you're looking for and you end up ditching it. If the Copperhead fails, you can almost always mod your OD of choice to be switchable between a boost and OD (it's as simple as removing a few diodes).

Neither the jam man nor the Boss RC-2/20/50 have delays. The Akai Headrush is said to be a very 'intuitive looper', while the Boss DD-20 has a longer loop time (I think) but is a little harder to use. The DL-4 is also supposed to be a great looper, but unreliable. If you can, test each one to see what you're looking for...the writable presets on the DL-4 and DD-20 are too valuable to look past, but the Headrush is supposed to be pretty awesome.

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd agree about going with a Pedaltrain (by far the best board out of all I looked at) and I too found the POG to be too large, a pain with the power supply, and generally not user friendly enough as a pedal (now, if they made one about half the size cutting out the highest and lowest octaves I'd reconsider, because the upper octave "electronic double string bass), the octave below, and the distorted B3 tones were absolutely killer) and would replace it with either an octaver or Whammy, depending on what you're wanting it for.

I'd highly recommend pricematching via Google Products before you place an order - as long as it's not a used product they're far more than likely to match the price, and that can save you some big buck in the long run. Although I returned it, I got a POG for $265 compared to the listed price of $324 because of pricematching. Also consider joining ASCAP - they give a 5% discount to member on top of your entire order.

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Gah! I've been foiled by syciprider! My dignity... nooooo...:crying:

Anyhow... it uses a center-positive plug, which makes me skeptical about whether or not a Dunlop DC Brick could power it. Sure, adapters exist, but if it's anything like my Bass Micro Synthesizer, it'll work alone, and it won't work with other pedals on a non-isolated power supply.

17. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    This setup is a lot different than what I remember you wanting in your last thread. Not quite as synthy. Cool, though. I guess you'll work your way up.

I have a Core Equipment Pedalboard. It's a waste of $. I built a much better one for much less after I learned my lesson from that one.

Check out the Micro Pog. It might have what you need from the full on Pog and none of the stuff you don't. Plus it's much smaller and runs on 9V from a standard jack.

Headrush is awesome. You could compare it to the Boss DD20 and DL4 though just to be sure. Those are the only delay/looper combos that I can think of. None of those other two let you route 4 different "tape heads" to different outputs, though.

IIRC, you're doing some trip-hop type stuff? I still think you need a Trem pedal.

Good luck, dude. As I stated before, I demand pictures and sound-clips.

18. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Only if you can pay it off when you get the bill. If not save up. Consumer debt kills!!!:ninja:

19. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX

+1...nice post Ian...

20. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I used to use some of those diamond plate pedalboards. I am MUCH happier with my pedaltrains today.