1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I put paint back in neck pocket?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rdhbass, Jul 30, 2003.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hi. I put together a mighty mite bass body and neck and it was a tight fit, nearly too tight and i sanded all the paint in the neck pocket and the sides of neck pocket. The neck fit, but to get low action I have to set my bridge saddles very low. I kinda think I should have left the paint in the pocket. With the paint, a person has a few millimeters of more heel heighth. Am I right? Should I put the paint back in????? What do most people prefer? i once had a 1980 fender with the paint in the pocket and it played fine. But this neck i got has very low frets and i think i shoulda left the paint in.

2. Sy, you've made a wrong assumption about how thick a paint coat is. On a bass, the paint is probably 10-20 mils thick depending on application. The "mil" refers to thousandths of an inch. So we're talking about a dimension that can barely be seen with the naked eye. This won't help your action issue.

It'd be a lot of work for nothing to replace paint layers in the neck pocket.

Perhaps using a shim will give you a better geometry.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Okay man thanks.