Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I put paint back in neck pocket?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rdhbass, Jul 30, 2003.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hi. I put together a mighty mite bass body and neck and it was a tight fit, nearly too tight and i sanded all the paint in the neck pocket and the sides of neck pocket. The neck fit, but to get low action I have to set my bridge saddles very low. I kinda think I should have left the paint in the pocket. With the paint, a person has a few millimeters of more heel heighth. Am I right? Should I put the paint back in????? What do most people prefer? i once had a 1980 fender with the paint in the pocket and it played fine. But this neck i got has very low frets and i think i shoulda left the paint in.

2. Sy, you've made a wrong assumption about how thick a paint coat is. On a bass, the paint is probably 10-20 mils thick depending on application. The "mil" refers to thousandths of an inch. So we're talking about a dimension that can barely be seen with the naked eye. This won't help your action issue.

It'd be a lot of work for nothing to replace paint layers in the neck pocket.

Perhaps using a shim will give you a better geometry.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Okay man thanks.