Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I Rake this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FLEABITE, May 3, 2001.

1. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Melowship slinky in B major by the red hot....

It doesn't matter if you know the song but it goes

-G---------8----------
    -D-------x----7-------
    -A---------------9-----
    -E------------------7---

The notes are played quite quickly and I tend to "rake" my index finger on my plucking hand on the last three notes. Is this correct technique or should I be alternating my plucking hand, say middle-index-m-i?
    Cool riff anyway.

2. Hey

Try and play it without racking cause then you'll be able to play the song and you'll have learnt how to play one note per string (which is worth learning for some more difficult songs). C-YA and keep grooving

Ben

3. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    You it however sounds best to you.....

BUT...Flea gets much of his funkiness from Stacato playing. This can't be done when "racking". So, stick to alternating index and middle finger.

That's a GREAT song and VERY fun to play.

Right after that rif, there is a LOT of room for improv. I believe it goes A7-G5-A7, but you can play many different things here......

Have fun

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Regardless of what your right hand is doing, you can get a staccato effect by muting with your left. Immediately after your right hand sounds the note, lift your fretting finger up, but not off of the string.

I'd use a-m-i-p for the right hand. But that's just me.

5. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I'm assuming you haven't seen the tape "Modern Electric Bass"........

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What'd Jaco say?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Is there some reason why he's playing a Bdom7 in the key of B? Wouldnt that make it the key of E?