Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i ramp my fretless 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Mar 8, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    what do you think of putting a ramp between the pups on a TRB 6p? how do they go on? if i choose to take it off later, what markes will be left behind? anything else i should worry about?
    -marty

2. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'm thinking of trying the same thing. Gary Willis' signature model comes with a bit of double-sided foam tape I believe so I'd suggest trying that to apply the ramp. I'd stick with something light-duty (as opposed to, say automotive double-stick tape which is a lot stronger) so you can easily remove it or reposition the ramp if you like. Any residue should be pretty easy to remove with a bit of cleaner...something not to harsh.

That's my plan, at least.

Good luck with it.
    j.

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    is this the way everyone ramps a bass? anything else?
    thanks for the help justyn
    -marty

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I once had an idea that I didn't go with so I don't know if it will work but...

On my 4 string with J style Barts I was going to make the ramp so that it attached to the top (for the bridge pu) and bottom (for the neck pu) two screws of each pickup. This way you can always just attach and remove it by taking the screws out of the pickup holes (already drilled) and put it back to stock.

I hope this made sense.

5. Here's a pic of what my dad and I have been working on for about a week...

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    nahhhh! You don't need a ramp. It's not worth it except on acoustic basses. It's not going to be worth it. Why do you want one anyway?

Edit: I make no sense. That was so redundant, I'm going to leave it as it is and hope that everybody makes fun of me for being stupidly stupid.

7. I have one on my MTD fretless 5 - it works so well I am thinking of getting them put on my other basses too. It really helps even out the notes and it feels fantastic to play. I used the double-sided tape method, with an ebony ramp.

Johann

8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    cool,
    ill talk to the dude im getting to do it, if he doesnt have any wild ideas that would work better, looks like it will end up being double sided taped.
    thanks, Ill let you guys know how it turnes out.

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a ramp on my Stingray Fretless 5. It is held on with two-sided tape.

Give it a try. It can take a little while to get used to, but I have grown attached to mine.

good luck
    ~Dave