1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I repair the neck binding on my bass or leave it alone?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bencarranza, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Hey guys, this is my first time here, I need a little help:) I bought a 1979 Greco Jazz Bass from Japan, it's in great shape for it's age, but I couldn't get a lower action, so that's why I took him to a luthier, he said the neck needed a shim. Now, do you think I should replace neck binding or just leave it alone? Also, some frets are uneven so I don't know if I should level and crown them or just replace them [​IMG] I attached the ad where I bought it if you're curious.
    Бас-гитара Greco JB600 Jazz Bass 1979 Japan купить в Москве | Хобби и отдых | Авито
    Thank you :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    If it is just cracked in appearance I would leave it. It looks nice to me. If I could feel it, I would do something about it.

I would level the frets.

bencarranza and MonetBass like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Exactly this. If it's just noticeable visually, I would leave it. If I could feel it while playing, it would drive me nuts.

bencarranza and James Collins like this.
  4. If the binding isn’t falling off crumbling then leave it. It’s actually aged where people pay extra to fake that ageing. It looks like there plenty of fret left to level if it is needed. You shouldn’t have to replace any yet.

bencarranza likes this.
  5. songofthewind

songofthewind

Aug 1, 2013
    It looks good. If it feels ok in the hands, then leave it.

6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I would leave it. I also would get the frets leveled before messing with a shim. With level frets you may find you don't need one.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021