Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I replace Lindy Fralin J's with Bartolini?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Dec 20, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Howdy!

I picked up a Lull M4V on a whim and I've been playing around with it. It's a very nice, high quality Jazz bass.

It came equipped with the Lindy Fralin Jazz pickups. Based on my meager experience with vintage jazz basses, I think these pickups seem to nail the vintage tone. To me, they sound raw with plenty of high-end "gank."

I'm much more used to a more modern tone, so I'm not exactly at home with the vintage vibe these have. I thought maybe I'd try Bartolini J pickups. I'd like to get a higher output, more modern tone. I've played Bartolini pickups for years and find them to my liking.

I would like to keep some of the high-end crispiness of the Lindys - so I thought maybe the Bart classics? How modern are these compared to the regular Bart J's.

Oh - I have a 9V Bart preamp in this thing.

What do you think overall?

Thanks!

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Captain, it sounds like what you're describing are the newer Bart Classic Bass (CB) pickups. Highly recommended.

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    the 9k1's also get plenty of highs aw well...

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I loved the Bartolini Js that they put in the modulus VJ ... whatever those are. Warm and balanced. I have Fralins in a lakland J bass, and you're right, they're borderline ganky ... just like a good J bass should be :D I wouldn't be too quick to swap them. A little gank can be a great thing in a lot of mixes.

5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    That's good feedback. I agree that the Bart J's sound great in the Modulus VJs. However, you make a good point. Perhaps I should play with the Lindy's for a while and see if I don't take to them.

P.S. I thought they put Aeros in the Lakland DJs?

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Each to their own, but I'd never swap my Lindy J's for any other p/u.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You can get them with Fralins as well. I asked Dan Lakin about getting some of the Aeros as well to try out and he said he "Sure, but they're very simmilar to the Fralins". Hair splitting type stuff. Both are single coil Js wound pretty much to 60s spec (I think the Aeros are just wound a little hotter/darker).

Love my DJ5 :bassist:

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Also, if you don't have a passive tone control, you could think about wiring one up. Its the time tested method of mellowing bright single coil pickups. Just get a stacked pot to run the barto from and use the extra hole for a VTC.

9. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA

I'm not sure I even fully understand what VTC is. Is it simply the ability to boost and cut in passsive mode?

I think I have this as I'm able to adjust levels while in passive mode (mid knob up). Note I have a 3 band preamp on this one.

Are there recommended settings for passive tonal settings?

Sufenta, I hear you. Plenty of people love Lindy Fralins and they sure sound like the few vintage 60's Jazz basses I've checked out. Heck, until very recently I was convinced I didn't even like Jazz basses. :eek:

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The Bart 9CBJD1 pups are great! I have them in both of my Jazz basses (Alder/Rosewood).
    I love 'em. :hyper: :D :hyper: :D :hyper: :D :bassist:

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its just a regular fender style passive tone control (just a pot and a capacitor) that is wired in ahead of the preamp. If you have boost/cut EQ then it would be fairly redundant with the treble cut ... though it'll obviously have a different sound, since the "VTC" is a passive control and the treble cut on the pre is active (buffered). Try just rolling back the highs a little on the onboard pre and see how that works for you.

12. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thanks everyone - I'm going to play with the Lindys for a while - roll back the highs in passive mode, and otherwise mess with it.

If it still doesn't take, I'll probably try those Bart CB things.

13. I would leave the bass w/ the Fralins in it! That's the ultimate, coveted vintage 60's jazz tone you have right there assuming your bass is alder rosewood. That's classic tone! :) That's exactly my tone as well and I couldn't be happier.

My suggestion is if you get an itch to change your instrument, don't, but rather leave it as is and get a new bass down the road with a different sound. If your looking for a modern hi-fi tone, get a bass that has that all within its package. You'll have then more options and axes to play with. If your going for modern then grab that bass, and you'll still have the Lindy Fralin loaded jazz bass when your in a vintage mode. And we all get a craving for vintage mode!
    Don't rid of the Fralins man, you have the most all time classic Jazz tone right there! Keep it, and down the road, get something else that's modern/hi-fi.

MG