Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I replace the preamp in my Ibanez SR3000e???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I have one of those Ibanez SR3000e Prestige 4 string basses that come stock with custom Bartolini pickups and Ibanez's 3 band vari mid hi-fi EQ. I really like the bass.....both the look and the feel. However, I'm having a little trouble with the Vari Mid Hi-Fi EQ. I can't seem to tweak it to my liking. It might actually be too much preamp for me. So, I'm thinking of taking a Bartolini NTBT 2 band EQ (HR 4.5 harness) out of one of my other basses and putting it in the Ibanez. I figure the Bart pickups should work well with a Bart preamp. What do you guys think? Should a preamp swap make a difference? Any advice? Thanks!!!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you've got all the stuff. If it were me I probably would. I personally didn't find variable mids (EMG BQC and OBP-3) to be useful. More flexibility with control but it just made it too much of a pain to both get a tone and find it again. I found the NTMB with the 250/500/800 mid switch much more useful and practical. I had an NTBT long ago and I thought it was good preamp. If the pups are the same (J's whatever), it would be easier to swap those but that's not going to tell you anything about the bass in question cause acoustics of the bass (and maybe) strings will be different.

Just make sure you make a legible diagram for both basses for every wire you disconnect and notes of anything that strikes you. And unless you know you want the change to be permanent, It would also be wise to return the basses as they were as soon as possible cuase the more time the passes, the less those diagrams that made perfect sense will make any sense at all when it comes to returning them as they were.