1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should i return my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuxedotomson, Dec 28, 2011.

1. tuxedotomson

tuxedotomson

Oct 30, 2011
    I just purchased a Squier vintage jazz bass from guitar center yesterday. I was going to get the modified jaguar, I loved how it played the action on it was perfect for me. But the guy talked me into getting the jazz bass. Now that i'm looking at it i can notice the neck bows a little forward, and defenatly isn't straight. I did the test where you push down the first and last fret and around the 10th string it is a little under credit card size. But when i was playing the jaguar the action was much lower than the jazz around the 12th fret making it easier to play. So should i whip out the allen key and try to adjust the trust rod and bridge to match that of the jaguar at guitar center? Or should i just return it, because i don't really know what im doing?

2. Go back and get the Jaguar.

How exactly did he talk you into it?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Setting your neck isn't difficult, however, go back and get the bass you want. Tell the salesman to take a walk in the mountains in the dark without a compass.

4. tuxedotomson

tuxedotomson

Oct 30, 2011
    well I went there to look at the Jaguar and the Jazz bass. I was playing the Jag when the sales guy came around and he did his normal rap. Pretty much what happened was I asked him what the black knobs at the base of the regular knobs did. We twisted them and there was no noticeable difference, and I said something about a bunch of clicks and whistles. So he handed me the Jazz bass, and i noticed the action was little higher but I decided to go with it anyway. I don't know if its normal for the neck to be bowed in a little? And technically the Jag and Jazz have the same neck, so couldn't I adjust the trust rod so the neck is straighter and raise the bridge a little to get what im looking for?

5. tuxedotomson

tuxedotomson

Oct 30, 2011
    Well after the guy couldn't tell me what the black knobs around the base of the tone knobs did, I said it had too many clicks and whistles. Then he brought me the jazz bass. I think before I return it i'm going to try to adjust the neck, to see if i can get it where i want it.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The stacked knobs are volume/volume and tone/tone for each pickup. Setup on a new bass is often your responsibility, especially from big box stores.

Either get it pro setup or.read the stickies in the hardware forum to learn how. Be careful!

7. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    "Buyer's remorse" is often a sign that you got "sold" into a purchase you really didn't want. It's YOUR money, spend it on what YOU want to own!
    GC is often a poor place to examine what you want because the people are so "sales" oriented that they often don't leave you in peace to make your decision on what instrument really does it for you.
    Remember that a standard sales technique is to plug a potential sales instrument into a $1000+ amp; do your best to match what you are going to be playing it through so you can make an appropriate appraisal.

8. Up to you if you want to drop the money to have that bass professionally set up to see if you are still happy. Personally, go with your gut and return the bass for your original pick! You'll be much happier in the long run.

9. tuxedotomson

tuxedotomson

Oct 30, 2011
    probably gonna return it tomorrow then. I don't want to pay for a setup, and I don't want to try and set it up myself and make it worse.

10. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    I agree, get the one that originally moved you and you even admit loved how it played and had action that was perfect for you. Fussing around with this one with get you, at best, an adequate player that does not move you and, at worst, a buggered up setup that still does not play to your liking that they now won't take back because you buggered it up. Go with your gut on this one.

11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The black knobs are tone knobs, the center knobs are volumes for each pickup. Any guitar salesman that does not know that should not be listened to on anything he says.

The little click thing on the tone knobs is called a detente. It's a thin piece of spring metal attached under the nut that holds your pots in place. It's like a washer that pushes up and catches into little holes drilled into the bottom of the tone knobs. It's totally removable if you would rather have smoother motion.

But yes, play the bass you want, not the one the salesman wanted you to buy.

12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Um yeah.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Get the bass you want.

14. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    sounds like a setup problem, not a bass problem.

if i returned a bass every time it was something simple like a setup issue, i wouldnt have any gear.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The reverse could have just as easilly happened. Better low action of the J instead. Its simple and basic thing everyone should learn to do for themself. Adjust trussrod and bridge saddles as desired. Most out of the box basses and guitars need a setup for the player who bought it. Some need less then others depending on player preferences for action and mfg setup. Keep the bass if you like it and do trussrod and bridge adjustments for best action for you.

16. Knob confusion?

Truss rod adjustment?

A no-problem situation methinks.

17. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    If you want the jag, take it back so your happy with the purchase. I recommend the videos on thr bass player mag website. This is what I used to learn how to setup a bass. Try it once and you'll see it's not that hard. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm able to make basic adjustments. I only take my basses to a tech for a once over sometimes and for a problem I cannot solve.

18. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

uhm ...that's what i thought!? the jazz bass isn't set up the way you like ...it sounds like the truss rod is pretty close to bang on although the neck may stand a little straightening.

other than that it's all the little alen key adjustments at the bridge ....i have NEVER bought a guitar or bass that played the way i like out of the box.

EVERY player should know how to tweak action and set a trussrod!

action has to be considered when comparing instruments in a buying situation ....just picking a bass because the action is low is almost like buying the bass with the freshest strings in the store.