Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should I run my cabinets in series or parallel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Aug 2, 2000.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I've got a 300W 8ohm amp going into a 1x15 cab and a 4x10...both 8 ohms. I usually run each cabinet in parallel directly out of the amp's two outputs. What is the difference between doing this and running the 15 off the 4x10 in series? Does it matter at all how it's hooked up? If so, what's the ideal setup? Need....more....power.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Running two 8 ohm cabs in parallel presents the amp with an impedance of 4 ohms. Since your head is running 300W @ 8 ohms, the head will be putting >300W @ 4 ohms. (Joris or one of the other hardcore electrical engineers on this board will probably tell you exactly how much.) I'm not familiar with the Trace head you have, but you should be okay; most amp designs can handle loads of 4 ohms.

Connecting the cabinets in series presents the amp with an impedance of 16 ohms; IMO, not the best way to wring the power out of the amp. The option for series wiring is rarely built into amps these days. However, if you've perused the latest BP magazine (it's also online), there's a DIY article on connecting cabs in series.

3. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Thanks for the info. I may be confused by using the term 'parallel'. Really, all I'm doing is running a cable from the 'out' on my amp to the 'in' on the SWR 4x10 and then 'out' of the SWR 4x10 to the 1x15's input. I'm certainly not modifying speaker cables like the BP article suggests.
    I didn't really notice any power decreases by doing this and certainly not that which I would expect by only giving my power amp 16 ohms to work with. I thought that the difference between running 4 ohms and 16 ohms would be tremendous.