Should I salvage my MIM Precision Bass or start over?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by longrally, Feb 14, 2017.

1. longrally

longrally

Feb 14, 2017
    New here! Just picked up my ~2000 era p bass up again after many years of neglect/not playing. I took it to my tech and he confirmed that the neck is bowed beyond repair.

The choice I have is: should I replace the neck with a Fender standard neck or Warmoth, or should I just start over with a new used bass? I love the bass, it has served me well and I would love to get it playable, but not sure it's worth dumping a bunch of money into at this point. Thanks!

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    A new MIM neck can be found for under $200 on ebay. You can reuse your current tuners. If you want a different feel you could get a Jazz bass neck instead of a P.

This is why Leo Fender invented the bolt on neck.

3. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Unless the truss rood is destroyed, NO neck is beyond repair, trust me.

Axstar, bolophonic, longrally and 4 others like this.
  4. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    I have seen necks that looked like they were imitating a banana, and still with some knowhow and patience, they were corrected. I suppose there are some that maybe can't be helped, but I have yet to come across one personally.

longrally and Guitarsrmine like this.
  5. The neck likely could be repaired. However 4 bolts drops the neck right off it, so long as the electronics all work (test them) then try to repair the neck or just put a new one on. Just about anything Fender Licensed or Fender/squier should fit. If you want to go cheap on it check the classifieds here. Someone has a Standard series Squier jazz width neck for $30.

longrally likes this.
  6. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I picked up a Squier at a pawnshop a while back that has a bowed neck. I didn't matter to me at the time because I had a fretless neck I was going to put on there anyway, but I have since found this Stew Mac video that shows how to fix the bow.

It doesn't look too complicated if you have the tools. I plan on trying it just to see if I can salvage the old fretted neck on mine. It might be worth a try before you write off the old neck.

longrally likes this.
  7. longrally

longrally

Feb 14, 2017
    At about the 10th fret there is a visual crimp. The truss rod works and has been adjusted and the neck is straight but when I tighten the strings, it will bow again. You know the wood stripe on the back of the neck (not sure what it's called)? It's pulling away from the rest of the wood and you can feel the gap when playing. It's a mess!

8. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Ouch, it sounds like it. Whatever you decide, hope it works out for you!

longrally likes this.
  9. Yup, sounds like I'd try a new neck to start with, as long as the electronics are working as well. As stated, any licensed Fender SHOULD in theory fit (Fender, Warmoth, Squier). From there I'd try looking into something new (and part out this bass) if it isn't up to par for your tastes. GL

10. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Here's another example of just how whacked out a neck can be and still be restored. Check it out.

longrally likes this.
  11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    A new neck would be my choice. Online music stores sell Mighty Mite necks or replacement necks for a good deal.

longrally likes this.

12. As someone said mightymite makes replacements, also musiciansfriend tends to have 10-20% off deals often, i think they do right now.

Mighty Mite MM2906 P-Bass Replacement Neck with Rosewood Fingerboard

Fender also makes replacement necks and they are priced pretty decent. The newer MIM necks are much nicer IMO then the older ones.

Fender Precision Bass Neck, 20 Medium Jumbo Frets

Badwater likes this.
  13. longrally

longrally

Feb 14, 2017
    Thanks! Curious why you think the MIM necks are much nicer these days? Better build quality?

14. Most people agree that after 2007/8 Fender quality in American and Mexican factories increased. Its very easy to see with the American models but the Mexican models changed greatly, adding the roadworn series which is very well regarded, changing the deluxe models, adding almost all artist models to made in Mexico now. Also I believe the fretwork is better done and by feel alone I think the fretboard edges have been rolled nicer.

Ive had plenty of pre 2008 MIMs but ive favored the newer models myself, in terms of feel.

15. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    If you have pieces of the neck coming apart, that is a good reason to start thinking about a replacement.

longrally likes this.
  16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yes, just about anything can be fixed - if you have enough time and $$$'s to throw at it. In that bass' case, you don't sound like you want to spend a whole lot of either. So, yeah, I think a new - as in "another" - neck would be the way to go. But, personally, if it were mine? I keep the old neck around, just to see if I could fix it. Just for grins, after I was finished playing the bass for a while...;)

longrally and M.R. Ogle like this.
  17. longrally

longrally

Feb 14, 2017
    Thanks everybody for the input! I'm putting a new MIM Fender p bass neck on this bass. I took the offending neck off tonight and it looks like there's a twist in it. Going to attempt to straighten it though. Looking forward to getting this baby playable again.

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Mighty Mite necks are awesome and affordable. I have gotten a few MIM necks from the classifieds for about $100-125. I also found a SWEET pearl bound and blocked maple Squier neck for $125. I scored a loaded Mighty Mite neck for $80 once. The deals are out there!

longrally likes this.
  19. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Do what I did, sell or scrap the bowed neck and fit a Jazz bass neck!

longrally likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021