Should I Sell and Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 10, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I'm currently doing some work experience for uni and i'm getting paid a bit more than i would normally get so i'm thinking about upgrading a few things. :bassist:

I'm already set that i'm gonna buy an amp. Next on the list is my bass. I currently have an OLP MM2. I'm considering getting an epiphone thunderbird, and i'm just wondering if the upgrade will be worth it?

I won't have money like this for a while again and i'm ****house at saving money (something always comes up, whether it be car problems, car insurance etc! :mad: ). While i will get a better bass down the track, i probably couldn't afford another one for at least 6 months, and realistically a year.
    I also would like to own 2 basses so i can keep one in EADG and one in BEAD tuning. So back to the question, if i can afford to keep the OLP i will but if i cant, would it be worth selling to get the thunderbird?
  2. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Thunderbirds are my dream bass. I would totally do it. The epiphone thunderbird is a very well constructed, good sounding bass. I don't know how the OLP sounds but I'd sell it for a t-bird.
  3. For what you'd get for a used OLP MM2, you're much better off keeping it...saving up for the T-bird...and then when you get the bird, do the BEAD thing to the OLP.

That's just my 0.02 worth
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I don't think you'll get as much for the OLP as it's probably worth to you, so you might as well hang onto it. IMO, the Thunderbird isn't much of an upgrade, so hold on to what you have until you have the money for something MUCH better.
  5. my word from the wise; never sell an instrument unless you absolutely hate it with a passion.

I've talked to heaps of folks who've regretted selling various instruments. In fact, my buddy lost a good friend in an arguement over a really nice strat after he refused to sell it back to him.

Going from a MM copy to a Thunderbird?! That's a pretty big departure isn't it!? Wouldn't it be good to have both, makes for pretty wide tonal options!
  6. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I will try to keep the MM2 so i can have both of the tunings i want, but it won't be easy because i'm supposed to be saving for a holiday to singapore soon! The reason i'm trying to make a decision asap, is because epiphone has a guitar of the month thing, where you can temporarily get the thunderbird in white, which is damn cool!

Also, i've heard the MM2's have weak truss rods. Does using the first four strings a 5 string set tuned BEAD put any greater tension on the neck than tuning to standard with a normal string set?

Eventually (hopefully next year) i'll try and get a used warwick corvette, but if possible would i'd still like to upgrade now while i have a bit of extra cash.
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    True. I've made this mistake before, and all my playing friends have at least one personal story, or know someone who does.

The OLP won't bring you much return, so keep it. As for the TBird, it's not something I've played, so I dunno what it'd be like. Get one if you like it, but please play it first as I think the secondhand market for one in Oz would be small and resale low.
  8. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still undecided on whether i'll keep the OLP. I like the shape of the neck and generally like the sound but the action can't be set very low. It seems to me that the truss rod is weak(as i have heard before) because i tightened it just over a month ago and there is again a bow in the neck. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Since that would be the bass i would tune to BEAD, i need to know, would this tuning put more or less tension on the neck(assuming i used the first four strings of a 5 string set)?
  9. Generally speaking...using the first 4 of a 5-string set and tuning BEAD on your bass will have LESS tenson on your trussrod than using a standard 4-string set and tuning EADG.

Do a search in the strings forum for this info (look for "tension"). Also, if you go to a string manufacturer website, like D'Addario, they publish HEAPS of info on their strings, including tension data.

GO FOR IT!