Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

should i sell it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 20, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so on the heels of buying my new 6'er, i also have found someone who wants to buy my sterling.

i'm kinda having 2nd thoughts though

i've had that bass for 8 years, and it was my first decent bass. it's been thru hell, and i've always said i wouldn't sell it. and the price is a little on the low side. $600 - the body isn't anywhere near mint, but it's only real flaw is on the back. plus the graphite neck - be it good or bad value wise - makes the bass play awesome...

would you do it? i DO need the money - to put towards my goliath senior, to get a small cab, etc. and i haven't really played the bass since i got my first warwick in 98 - nor can i forsee me playing it a whole lot again. so - is a bass ever worth hanging onto if you don't play it?

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Out with the old, in with the new (or cash in your case). *

* This rule only applies to certain items, at your discretion. If this were true, all the old people moderators would be gone and teenagers would be ruling. Take with a grain of salt.

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I would'nt! You'll just kick yourself in the @@s for doing it on down the road!

4. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Don't sell it! You'll need it down the road(to save the earth or something). JUST DONT SELL IT!

:D :D :confused: :D

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Do you come back to it regularly? Does it feel like you've come home when picking it up after playing your other basses? Don't sell it if the above rings true. If the bass just sits in the case, by all means sell it.

I'm still kicking myself for trading a Music Man 5-string I bought as my first "serious" bass. I modified and abused it like hell and I thought it had become worthless, but now I realize it's easily the most comfortable bass I've ever owned.

All other gear (amps, pedals etc) you can sell and trade, but think again before selling instruments, they sometimes become like a part of you.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I try to follow the general rule that if I can't afford something on my own, I don't buy it. If I have to sell something, it better be something that I haven't used in an awfully long time to justify its departure from my arsenal. And, quite frankly, only my Peavy sits unused...and, I'm not even gonna sell that!

I'd recommend keeping your MM and trying to raise the $600 from other sources. If you can't do it, maybe you shouldn't be buyin' another bass.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think Anders hit it right on the head.

Personally, if you have doubts about selling it, don't. I had a black P bass copy that I sold, and have not regretted. I breifly thought about selling my Ibanez about a year ago, but I didn't. A bass works away at you, untill it IS you. That's why we have guys who have the same Fender P they did in the 60's. When you invest as much time as you do being a musican, the instrument becomes you. You wouldn't sell your arm would you? Well, then don't sell something that is just as much a part of you as the arm.

8. If you have any doubts, keep it. Take it from someone who knows (and regrets).

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    if you need the money.. you may want to consider selling it.. but sometimes there are things we aquire that may not be the best thing in the world.. but it means the world to us.. if thats your sterling.. i would hold onto it.. if not.. get rid of it

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd definitely say sell.....to ME! I'd be glad to give you the $600

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, $600 is WAY TOO LOW. I know it dosen't have the original neck but a Moses neck isn't cheap. Plus also, It's your first goo bass, Hod on to it. You WILL regret it in the long run!!!!!

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i can't get anyone to buy it for more than that. i started it at $750 about 2 months ago and got nothing. it's 99% sold now, i'd have to do some serious ******* maneuver to get it back.

plus the body IS beat up.

i sold my thumb 5 that i put way more hours on for a better bass and don't miss that at all...so i'll probably be ok :rolleyes:

i'm going to probably get an SX '62 jazz in the near future as well, so that should eliminate any sadness i have from selling the sterling.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't sell it. if you don't want to play it put it away somewhere like a closet or something. Then if you want to play it one day pull it out and blam there it is.

14. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Don't sell it. I've regretted every single of the three basses I have given away or sold in my life.
    Dirk