1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I sell my '12 American Standard for an AVRI? Help me out.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jason the fox, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Basically looking for some opinions. Sorry if this is one of those broad/redundant/only-you-can-make-that-decision type of threads lol.

I've got two American Standard Fender Precisions. Well, one is a 2004 so technically, it's an 'American Series'. Whatever.

The other one is a 2012, bought it this past December ('12). Olympic white/tort/rosewood. Great bass. 'Custom Shop' 60s pickup, yadda yadda. When I bought it, I was kind of debating between it, and ordering an AVRI Precision, also in Olympic White.

I decided on the AmStd, even though I already have one.. but ever since then, I've been gassing on and off for the reissue. The '04 is a keeper, but the '12 might be on the chopping block.

So here's the scenario. My local Long and McQuade doesn't stock any AVRI's - so I can't play one before ordering. But worst case scenario, I can just make a down payment and order one and then decide what I think of it.

I want some help getting swayed one way or another. I dig the smaller fingerboard radius on the AVRI, vintage styling, etc. I've got one of those 'original P-bass pickups in another modded Fender, and I love it. To be totally honest, the only thing I'm on the fence about at this point with the AVRI are the smaller 'vintage' frets. Sounds novice, but it makes me wonder how it might effect my playing style. Can I pluck/pick as hard and play as aggressive, etc etc? And aside from frets, are these things built as bullet-proof as the American Standards? I'm not talking regular wear and tear, finish scratches and nicks and bumps are normal. In fact, I'd expect it even more with a nitrocellulose finish. I just mean, can they take a pounding night after night and keeping coming back strong? This will be a bass that's gigged regularly. I never abuse my basses, but I play hard sometimes.

If I decide to go for it, I'll have to hope there are some '62s still available, because I want Olympic White and it doesn't look like they're offering the current '63 in that color.

I'd love to get some opinions from folks who have got both basses to basically convince me why I need to get the AVRI. Guess I'm looking for reassurance? lol.

2. Despite your hesitations, you don't sound like you're looking for reassurance as much as you're looking for permission.

Only you know what you really want.

3. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I see what you did there. Good point.

I guess part of it is, does it make more sense to have one if each as opposed to having two 'modern' American series/standards. I think so...

4. Well... this may not help you, but here's my position.

As far as Precision Basses go, I currently have a Japanese built 62 reissue (I had to make some aesthetic adjustments to make it into what I really wanted it to be... including a set of Lollars that sound AWESOME).

Until recently I also had a 2012 Am Std P-Bass (exactly like yours, but with a Maple board). It is an amazing bass... the buyer is a lucky guy... the pickups were fantastic... Beautiful build... felt great in my hands... but...

Those '63 AVRIs... have you played one? They're awesome! I loved how the ones I tried felt and sounded! With that said, I'm selling one more bass (an Epi Elite T-Bird) in order to finance mine.

My impression is that they're made with vintage specs, but for today's player... and, at that price point, they'd better be!

I mean... why would Fender (or any instrument company) make basses other than to be played? I'm going with the belief that these basses must be made to withstand the rigors of regular gigging.

Jack White's bassist in the Buzzards (Dominic John Davis) plays one (among his many basses), and, he seems to hit it pretty hard.

Thoughts from other TBers?

5. I'm certain there are those who think I'm ridiculous for having two AVRIs (both with rosewood boards)...

6. It DOES make more sense... I'm just obsessed with these AVRIs!!!

7. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I just read on the long and mcquade site that the '63 reissue is available in Olympic white. Cool.

Might have to do some digging to find the differences between the '62 and '63.

8. SpruceGoose54

SpruceGoose54

May 21, 2013
    They make a 63 reissue in Olympic White. It looks just like the 62 except it has a mint green pickguard instead of tort.

9. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    This only my opinion. I own a 62 AVRI P sunburst/rosewood and a 2012 Am Std P rosewood. I sometimes play with a three piece classic rock band at medium to high volume venues. While the 2012 is a very nice bass, if I could only keep one it would hands down be the 62 AVRI. The 62 is the lightest and most resonant P bass I have ever played, it has a nice bottom, huge low mid with a nice growl on top. I have owned other P basses over the years, one was a 1977, but as far as tone goes the 62 AVRI beats them all.

Personally I'm not in love with the 1.75" width neck and I long ago removed the tacky nitro finish from the back of the neck with steel wool. I also made a neat groove with a dremel tool at the front of the pickguard (looks professional) so I don't have to remove the neck to make truss rod adjustments. The thin nitro finish gets marked up easily and is starting to wear through in spots but above all this is the sweetest sounding P bass I've ever played and I don't plan on ever selling it.

10. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    I've sworn off Fenders for USA Laklands (ok I still own my Fenders including my 12 Am Std P and 10 Am Std J). The only reason I mention this is that the US Laklands have the vintage skinny frets. They are a pleasure to play on my USA Glaub and Joe Osborn. They make the neck more playable. So, if the AVRI frets are similar, don't hesitate due to that issue.

Still, I'd rather drop the coin on a USA Glaub over the AVRI, but that's just me and has nothing to do with your question.

11. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Anyone know first hand how the necks compare on the '62 vs '63? Same fingerboard radius, but I've been reading the '63 feels noticeably wider.

12. It's true... the neck is somewhat wider; though, I don't have exact measurements for you.

I find that the neck on my '62 almost feels a bit narrow for a P-Bass. The '63 is certainly more substantial... though, I also found it quite comfortable.

13. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Nice.. More substantial, but would you call it chunky? For example, compared to a modern AmStd.

14. Yeah... I think I would.

The neck on the Am Std that I just parted with was really, really nice. It felt great... the satin finish was very pleasing to the touch.

The body was light, and the sustain went on for days (I think they figured something out with the new high-mass bridge design)...

Jeez... why did I sell that thing?!?

Oh, yeah... This is why...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380686694.321284.

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I've had the opportunity to pick from both twice and both times I chose the AVRI or NAV and both times I was kicking myself for not choosing the Std. Yes the AVRI's are great basses, they have the looks and vintage feel. The tone is there. But the American standards I feel are just a little bit of a better package with some added benefits like graphite reinforcement and tougher finishes. In retrospect, everything I thought I didn't like about the American standards became stuff that I felt was missing on the AVRI line, with neck stability being a big one. If a very certain neck shape and vintage appointments are important to you, go for it. Just be aware they are different animals entirely. In some ways better then the stds, in some ways worse...you wont find out until you OWN one.

16. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

I'm not sure if I worry so much about neck stability - I'm not saying I doubt any potential benefit of the graphite reinforcement, but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily doubt the stability of a 'regular' neck. Not gonna make it a deciding factor. The MIA necks feel indestructible but I've also had 'cheap' MIM Fender necks that were (and still are) great too, requiring very little adjustment with no humps or bumps.

I currently own two modern AmStds ('04/'12). If money wasn't an object, I'd just buy one of everything I want lol. The '04 is a beast. The '12 is a fabulous bass, but now that I've had it about 10 months, I don't think it talks to me like the '04. So seeing as I'm jonesing for an AVR, it makes sense to unload it.

I guess at this point I just need to decide whether or not I want to spring for a '63 or hunt down a '62.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Comes down to feel. I can only speak for the Precisions, but the 63 and 58 have a fairly thicker neck front to back. The adjustment may be easier going from the std to the 62, if that matters to you. It was a big change for me but others like a thicker neck. Both the 62 and 63 are 1.75 at the nut.

18. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Just got off the phone with Long and McQuade, looks like they've got one leftover '62. Olympic white, which is what I'm looking for. They're gonna ship it to their store here, probably 3 or 4 days until it arrives.

I'm hoping it's in good shape - it's brand new, but I guess it's basically been a floor/display model since it arrived and I have no idea how long they had it in the store up to this point.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. It'll be mine within a week or so if all goes well.

19. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Yes I know first hand.

Here was my 62 AVRI. Amazing bass. The only thing I added was a gold anodized guard. Tone was amazing ! And in spite of my personal preference for Modern P necks, I forgot about neck width quickly.

IMG_1663.

Then I decided to move to the 63 NAV P (New American Vintage aka AVRI) for very shallow reasons. Birth year and I was smitten with that faded sonic blue.

I pulled the mute tape out and was flat blown away by the tone. Was it drastically better than than the 62? No. Was it noticable? Yes !

The neck feels a bit thicker (depth of neck) on the 63 but not horrifically so. And I hate chunky necks.

It sounds so good that gives you that "just peed my pants" look every time you play it.

While the 63 NAV is being replaced by a Dingwall Super P5 when it arrives in November, The 63 will be the only Fender in the house that does not get sold. It's that amazing. And I will still take it to rehearsal from time to time. Pesonally, I don't think that the American Standards even come close.

Pee pants look as proof. :D

manipulated.

20. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Great looking bass!

But damn.. don't make me think I'm making the wrong decision going with the 62, lol.

I'm sure both are great basses. The original AVRI's have been held in such high regard for so long, so I'm sure the new models will be the same over time.

I find I'm pretty adaptable to different necks, but what I'm looking forward to is the 7.25' fingerboard radius. I've played a strat with the vintage radius and I loved the feel. I'm hoping the bass will feel right at home the same way.

Not looking forward to the first time I need to adjust the truss rod, which in all likely hood will be within a few days after I get it. Only a minor inconvenience though.