Should I sell my 72 Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birminghambass, Dec 9, 2002.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, I think I'm really gonna do it. My beloved 72 "Geddy" bass has been my prized posession for about 10 years now. It looks great, sounds great and plays great. The only problem is I NEVER play it anymore! It just can't compete with my musicman 5 in a live setting. Should I keep it as a collector or sell it and get something that I might play?
  2. Define "never". If you can afford it, hang onto it for awhile--in the future you may come back to it.
  3. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    i think you should sell it to me, for a nice low price of $200 :D

(im willing to go to 250)
  4. Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA

I have never sold any instrument and not regretted it eventually.

5. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I 'm with Sinker (ya stinker) I have sold very few basses over the years and not regretted it. THe SR5 is good but it cannot do a jazz sound. Promise, I have been thru 6 Sr5's.....KEEP THAT MO!!!
  6. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Live maybe, but any studio engineer will cream themselves when you walk through the door with it as the "second option" four string.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Once upon a time, I had the same bass in the mocha color. Being a young moron, I thought it would be cool to defret it and completely do the rest of the bass over including new pickups, pots, paint, etc. What a moron!! I bought it for $275 in 1983 and it's probably worth $1300 now. Money aside, it was a great sounding and playing bass with the rare maple board and black block inlays.

If you don't need the cash, keep it. They are very tough to find, especially non sunbursts.:D

That's my advice(a moron)