Should I sell my Aguilar rig???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Hey folks,
    I'm thinking about selling my Aguilar DB680 and DB720 (or part of it) to buy an Avalon Vt737sp as my primary preamp for live and studio work. What is the going price for these Aguilar gear and does anybody have experience touring with a studio preamp--reliable? I would probably run the Avalon preamp into a Carver PM600 power amplifier or buy a Crest power amp.
  2. Yes.
  3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    If by "sell" you mean "give to me", then go right ahead :D

Seriously though, from what I've heard the Aguilar preamp is much better suited for bass guitar in terms of EQ than the Avalon. The tube FX loop can't hurt either. If you want compression, I'm sure there are many nicer compressors available for less cash than the one built into the VT-737. The Avalon would be useful if you also want to use it as a microphone processor in the studio, but you could still just buy a mic preamp. Even if you ditch the DB680, PLEASE don't sell the poweramp (you said 720, but I'm assuming you mean the DB728 tube poweamp) unless you either hate the tube sound or just can't handle the weight. Ask your bandmates to help you carry it first, I'm sure they'll gladly do it out of respect for the tone you're getting.

I know bass players have an irrepressible urge to change their rigs every couple of months, but what you've got is considered by most of us around here to be the ultimate rig. The price you can get by reselling them varies a great deal, but the cheapest I've seen them go for is $700 for the preamp and $1000 for the poweramp. Since Aguilar jacked up their retail prices, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell used for $1100 and $1400 respectively. I say drop the idea and redirect your GAS to something sensible (for example, if you want more tonal versatility, buy more basses.)
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :oops: yeah i think that this might be one you'll regret getting rid of... don't do it!!!
  5. You're going to sell a 680?

Dude, what are you smoking?
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I knew I shouldn't of shared with him. :eek: :D
  8. Thanks, everybody for your replies.
    I think I'll hang on to the Aggie stuff for now. The reasons I was thinking about selling are this: 1)The power amp and preamp racked together in a shockmount rack weighs about 140 lbs, which is a little monstrous 2) I have experienced a lot of hiss and noise from the preamp, which is supposed to be a studio grade pre. This noise has made many engineers at studios and live gigs bypass the preamp completely. 3) nobody mikes the cab so lugging the great sounding DB728 (aka destroyed back 728) tube power amp is only for my bliss at gigs 4) I experienced some mental losses from the cigar smoke at the gig the other night.

Maybe I'll just do a day rental for a nice tube compressor for tracking vocals.
  9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA

You may want to have a tech go over that. The noise could be resulting from a problem with one or more of the tubes.
  10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

1) put the power amp into a separate case. I have one in a 4 space shockmount rack case with wheels. About 80 lbs and fairly manageable.

2) Have the pre checked out.

3) see 1.

4) smoke your own :D
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, keep the DB720 stored away in a nice SKB RollX 4 rack/cart, and wheel it out when you're in the mood for it.

but keep and use the DB680 for whatever, the rig, studio, to accompany whatever you're smokin'... the usuall... ;)

if you're gigging, i'd just mate it with a nice lightweight single rack power amp like a Stewart and have your own "the Minty Mighty Mini Rig 'O Joy". :p